etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Being a Female in Modern America: The Ugly Truth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

When we were young, being a little girl meant that all we had to worry about was looking pretty, and when we grew up, we realized just how convoluted that idea really is. Now that we’re older, “pretty” has a comparative monetary value of eighty-two cents to every dollar a man makes. Now that we’re older, “pretty” means only the lily-white, skinny girls, we see on the cover of magazines. Now that we’re older, “pretty” means conforming to out-of-context, vintage cultural norms and expectations. Now that we’re older, “pretty” is such an ugly concept. 

Perhaps the most disgusting, and most ugly truth within our nation’s subconscious is the universal assumptions of a woman’s appearance. “She-was-wearing-something-short-and-tight-so-she-was-asking-for-it” kind-of assumptions. And sure, when we hear that statement in modern America, we shake our heads in disapproval and denial, but when a case surrounding rape culture is brought to court, one of the first questions asked of the victim is, “what were you wearing that night?”. No woman bares a bright, neon, flashing sign on her chest that reads, “PLEASE FU*K ME EVEN IF I SAY NO”, therefore, the argument that what a woman wears is what may determine the cause of her rape is invalid.

The way in which a female chooses to present herself should not be something up for discussion, just as we do not have a conversation on whether a man chooses to wear a suit or a pair of sweatpants. We should not have a different set of vocabulary for men and women; instead of only allowing women to “overreact”, let us first allow her to react. Instead of deeming her “cold and calculated”, let us first recognize her as quick-witted and strategic, for these are our first instincts of a man. We also should allow women the right to equivalent pay to her male coworkers and, on that same point, allow the chance for advancement in corporate settings without discrimination. 

You would think all of these suggestions are obvious, so what eludes the twenty-first-century from these basic practices? What does another “X” chromosome do to affect our perspective of actions and behavior? What equates the extra “X” chromosome with enslavement to unrealistic expectations from media, unequal pay, and victimization by rape culture? Part of my life will be dedicated to discovering the answers to these ugly questions, all the while I look as pretty as I desire to be, and I will work to shatter the glass ceiling with the prettiest pair of heels you’ve ever seen!

Hi, I'm Kate :). I'm an English and Writing and Rhetoric major and I'm a Sophomore at the University of Rhode Island. I love writing, editing, and publishing and I'm a sucker for good books, good friends, and even better cups of coffee. As a concluding statement enjoy this dad joke: "why couldn't the bicycle stand up by itself?" "Because it was two-tired".