This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Living with roommates can be hard, whether you share a house or you’re crammed into a dorm on campus.

They can be messy. They can be loud. They can be moody. They can be downright disrespectful. They don’t always respect your space. They always have clothes in the dryer when you need to switch over your wash. Dealing with your period is enough, let alone when all of you have it at the same time. They might even eat your food or borrow a shirt and never return it. They’re kind of the worst. Here’s the thing though… I wouldn’t change it for the world.

Yes, living with roommates can be hard, but they just might be the best year(s) of your life.

I love my roommates. They always know how to make me smile after I’ve had the worst day of exams or get splashed by a puddle when a car drives by (Yes, that has happened to me more than once and no, it’s not just in the movies). My roommates are always there for me when I need a good laugh or dance break amidst the craziness of schoolwork. They always, well, usually, share their food with me if I forgot to go grocery shopping that week. They encourage me to splurge on myself from time to time whether it be with take out or a little retail therapy. My bank account doesn’t like the last one as much as I do! They offer a listening ear when I need to vent and offer to throw hands when someone’s done me dirty. They’re the sisters I never had. They’re kind of the best.

I know they can do things to irritate you, but take a step back and ask yourself, “Does it really matter that the trash hasn’t been taken out yet” or “How important is it that the dishes be washed just this second?”They have their own issues and own schoolwork to worry about. Maybe they were rushing to get to an exam and needed to eat so they didn’t have time to clean their dishes. Stop focusing on all the little things that, in the grand scheme of things, are irrelevant and focus on how you get to spend nearly every day with some of the coolest people you know. These are the people that care about you the most.

Focus on the happiness they bring you and not the minor, stupid things.

Hello:) I am a senior kinesiology major at the University of Rhode Island. I am rather involved around campus and usually have my head in a book. I like the color yellow because it's just such a happy color!