This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

This week in my psychology class, we had to write a reflection on five acts of kindness we completed throughout the week. It seems like such an insignificant amount. Five kind things. After starting a journey and going out of your way to complete acts of kindness, you start to realize the effects it has on other people, as well as on you. 

Over spring break I was lucky enough to end up in Disney World. While there, I was waiting in line to meet a character and telling one of my friends how I wished I had a piece of paper to get their signature. About a minute after saying this a little boy in front of me turned around and smiled at me. He handed me a piece of paper he ripped out of his autograph book and his mom told me it was for my autograph. This was such a small thing he did, but it was so sweet and it made my day. 

Here are some small ways you too can make someone’s day. Hold the door open for someone. Hold the elevator. Do the dishes for your roommates. Pay for the person behind you in the drive-thru. Leave money at a vending machine for the next person.

Compliment someone. Give up your seat for someone. Pick up litter. Help a friend clean their room. Leave a happy note on the bathroom mirror.

Try to complete your own acts of kindness each day, and see how much of a difference it makes to your mood as well as others.

Psychology major at URI with a double minor in English and Education. Loves coffee & anything caramel, dancing, music and watching Netflix. Obsessed with all things Disney and spent a semester working at Disney's Animal Kingdom.