9 Ways to Become a Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

You snooze your 9 a.m. alarm a good 25 times, skip all of your morning classes, and don’t fully get out of bed until 2 p.m. You could guess for yourself that you are the furthest thing from a morning person. Eh, no big deal. The worst thing that happens is that you start your day a little later than the rest of the world, right? Not right, wrong. There are so many beneficial things about being a morning person. Here are 9 ways you transform into a morning person:

1. Have a cup of coffee. Before I came to college, coffee wasn’t in my vocabulary. Ever since sophomore year, I’ve found it more than extremely beneficial. Now-a-days I couldn’t make it through my 9 a.m. class without a cup of Columbian coffee.

2. Do a morning workout. A morning workout doesn’t require the gym. If you have space in your room or somewhere in your house, find a short routine or stretch in the morning before you do anything else. It will leave you feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day.

3. Eat breakfast. Food is your friend. Maybe even your best friend. Eating breakfast can help you think clearer and wake up a little in the morning. Skipping breakfast will make you feel more tired than you already are.

4. Wake up at the same time everyday. Whether you have an 11 a.m. class or a 9 a.m. class, make it a priority to wake up at a decently same time every day. Your internal clock will set and make it’ll be easier for your body to get out of bed.

5. Leave your blinds open. If you expose yourself to natural light, it’ll be easier to start your day. Everyone needs a little Vitamin D, so why not get it as soon as you wake up? Also, waking up with the sun shining through your windows is guaranteed to put you in a good mood for the rest of the day.

6. Get enough hours of sleep. If you get at least seven to eight hours of sleep every night, your body will thank you with an easier wakeup. If you go to bed at 3 a.m. and expect to wake up at 7 a.m. without a problem, then that’s a problem. Not getting enough sleep not only prevents you from becoming a morning person, but it is hard on your health, as well.

7.  Don’t take long naps. Long naps can lead to insomnia. If you want to take a nap during the afternoon, make sure its not a 5-hour nap where you know you’ll be up until 2 a.m. that morning.

8. Count sheep or numbers. This may be a little cliché, but it works. Every time I find myself overthinking before bed when I really need to get a good nights sleep, I begin counting and before you know it I’m passed out in a deep sleep.

9. Plan for the next day. Pack your schoolwork, print out any papers that are due tomorrow, and pick out an outfit. If you’re already prepared for the morning tasks you know will come, it will give you less of a worry waking up knowing you already have a few things done for the day.

Please write a short bio here! And don't forget to add a photograph!!