This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

As a commuter, when I leave my house in the morning, I make sure my backpack has all the essential things that I will possibly need throughout the day. So, what is considered “essential”?

1. An Umbrella 

Photo by Saffu on Unsplash

This may seem like a known thing, so obviously if it is raining in the morning then you’ll bring an umbrella in a tote. But what if you get out of class and a random downpour starts (it has happened before).

2. Charger 

Photo by Steve Johnson on Unsplash

Whether it is your phone charger, headphones charger or laptop charger, throughout the day all batteries get drained. Many college campuses now have charging stations for smartphones that are conveniently located in student unions. 

3. Water Bottle 

Carrying a water bottle at all times is always a good idea. Not only will you be fully hydrated throughout the day, but you can also refill it at refilling stations around campus. 

4. Snacks

Being in class, in the library or anywhere else on campus you never want to be left hungry and cranky. Carrying snacks allows you to stop that hunger before it happens. 

NOTE: Choose soft foods if you plan on snacking in class!

5. Headphones 

Photo by Icons8

Music is an outlet for students. Walking around campus or through the library you will quickly notice just how many students have headphones in at all times. 

6. Hand Sanitizer

This is the number one item that I always keep in my backpack as well as my car and purse. With flu season quickly approaching, sanitizing your hands before eating those snacks or lunch is a must. 

7. Extra Money 

Photo by Aidan Bartos on Unsplash

You never know when there will be some type of fundraiser or pop-up shop on campus. Having spare cash on you at all time is super helpful in those cases. 

8. Pepper Spray 

Safety is a major concern when walking from class or the library to your car after dark. Carrying pepper spray as a defense mechanism is extremely important! 

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix.