sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 7 Stages of Living on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Sticking to a budget can be a challenge for anyone. When it comes to us college students, it’s even harder. Even if you worked all summer, all winter break and a week of spring break, a college budget is a real slap in the face when it comes to dealing with your money. A money tree would be a great new hybrid, wouldn’t it? Here are the seven stages of an ever shrinking college budget that we know all too well.

Stage 1: Feeling Superior

At the beginning of the semester you feel unstoppable. Those long hours at work truly paid off, or so you thought. You can do anything, go anywhere and explore all of Rhode Island with a wallet screaming “spend me”. Let the shrinking of your wallet size begin.

Stage 2: Textbook Tears

Some say you don’t ever actually use the textbook, but four out of five professors will require you to buy a book. Saying goodbye to $300 just hit your heart so hard. Goodbye to two and a half weeks of work. How can a book cost $150?! We will never know.

Stage 3: Food Deprived

A month or so into school you realize the dining hall is not sitting well in your stomach. It’s extremely unhealthy and most of the time unappetizing. Free delivery? That’s your cue. So, you turn to “real” food and spend money on calzones, doughnuts, mozzarella sticks and wraps from the Emporium. You also discover the best sushi at Kabuki and mouthwatering tacos at Bike Stop Cafe and before you know it, you’re eating out every day.

Stage 4: Craving the Real World

Sometimes we all get a little stir crazy on campus. Walking back to your dorm is definitely not the same as driving back home. Your dorm room makes you feel like you’re trapped, but luckily your roommate is down to adventure with you. You find yourself throwing gas money for the ride and taking spontaneous trips to explore the beauty around school. You’ll attend local fairs, go roller skating and go bowling. There’s a whole new world outside of campus. You also can’t miss out on a Chipotle stop in Warwick or Middletown; a happy stomach fulfills the thrills of adventuring.

Stage 5: When Your Closet Feels “Empty”

The more parties you go to, the more themes you must follow and the less options you seem to have each week. You’re sick and tired of wearing the same things over and over again even though, let’s be real, nobody notices. A trip to the mall or even the nearest Marshalls in Wakefield will give you that high you were so desperately needing. Getting swipe happy is real, ladies. Beware.

Stage 6: Realization

This is the part when you check your bank account and your heart sinks a little bit. It’s a month before Christmas and you haven’t even thought about gifts yet. You spent more than half of what you made from the summer. It’s time to get real.

Stage 7: The Decline.

Nothing is worse than reaching the register at CVS with things you actually need and having your card get declined. Your heart drops, you start to sweat, your face gets red and you call your mom to ask if she can transfer more money. You swear the lady who rang you up heard her yell at you for your irresponsible budgeting. You deserved it. You, my friend, have exceeded your college budget.

I'm willing to make anybody smile. I write to show how I chase happiness, contain & maintain positivity, express love and thought, and pursue strength and stability.