7 Fun & Inexpensive Things to Do If You Have a Car at URI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

1. Scarborough State Beach

Fill up your car with your closest friends and enjoy a beautiful, sunny day at Rhode Island’s third best beach in the state. Cost for admission is $6 on weekdays and $7 on weekends for travelers who have a Rhode Island license plate. They charge by the car, so you might as well squish in the backseat!

2. Check out a farmer’s market

Wake up early one Saturday morning and go to a local farmer’s market. Casey Farm, Fisherman Memorial State Park, and South Kingstown market, which is one minute from URI, are just a few of the local farms in South County. There are lots of tents selling local fruits, veggies, Fully Rooted juices, fresh-picked flowers, great pastries, and so much more for low prices! Think local, buy local, and support our farmers!

3. The Newport Cliff Walk

Choose to exercise with a view today! Grab some friends or have some “you time” and drive 30 minutes to discover one of RI’s most beautiful places, Newport. The toll is $4 per car, but the views there are free! You can walk along the cliffs of Newport and discover famous mansions, the RISD museum, Salve Regina University, and the great Atlantic Ocean.

4. Day trip to Block Island

Sail Away to Block Island for a day! The Block Island Ferry sets sail out of Point Judith (Galilee) year round. It offers many different times to sail in and out of the island. A round trip ticket is only $17 for a 55 minute ferry ride. Don’t fret, seasick people! The ferry offers a hi-speed trip narrowing the time to just 30 minutes for $38 round trip. Block Island is a great place to go on an adventure to discover nice beaches and cool lighthouses. There is also endless shopping, cool restaurants, and “lit” beach bars. 

5. Adventure Land

Believe it or not, there is an Adventure Land right in Narragansett. Located across the street from Stop and Shop is mini golf, bumper boats, go karts, and batting cages. You and your friends can do an unlimited amount of these activities for just $25! Plan your trip quick, because it closes mid-October!

6. Narrow River Kayaks

Rent a kayak, canoe, or paddle board for a few hours and putter up and down the famous Narrow River. Prices average at about $30 depending on how long you’d like to stay and what you would like to rent. If you’re not into either of the aforementioned activities, the river is also great for bass fishing!

7. Jamestown day trip

Jamestown is a beautiful island just 15 minutes and a bridge (with no tolls) from Bonnet Shores. Along with the humongous beach houses, there are a few parks located there as well. The famous graffiti covered fort used in the Revolutionary War, Fort Wetherill, is a rock formation iconic for Instagram-worthy pictures. After exploring the cave, have some lunch at the taco shack by Dutch Harbor, snag some fresh, Italian pastries from the Village Haven, and grab some local flowers to bring back to school from The Secret Garden. But don’t miss the sunset! Fort Getty and Beavertail Park are the places to be.

Hi! My name is Megan Collamati and I'm a junior at the University of Rhode Island.  I am currently studing journalism and sustainability. I'm born and raised in the beautiful state of Rhode Island and am always excited to learn new things. Thanks for taking a look at my articles!