This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

What does it mean to be a feminist? No, it doesn’t mean that you hate men! To be a feminist means that you believe in equality for people of all sexes, genders, races, ethnicities, abilities and more. Here are six ways you can step up your feminist game.

1. Stay on top of current events

Photo by Branden Harvey on Unsplash

Stay woke by keeping up with the latest headlines. I recommend receiving your news from a reliable, bipartisan source so that you can form your own opinions about the matter instead of internalizing someone else’s. TheSkimm is a great way to get accurate (and comprehensible!) news. When you sign up for TheSkimm newsletter, you will receive an email every morning with the top stories in black and white. Make your own opinions, decide what you agree with and do not agree with, and go show the world just how woke you are.

2. Do your reading

Photo by Anthony Tran on Unsplash

Try to read one book that feeds your feminist appetite each month. Not sure what your next book will be? Make a free goodreads.com account and join Emma Watson’s book club, “Our Shared Shelf”. When you become a member you are joining over 200,000 other feminists who read and discuss one thought-provoking book each month. Emma even joins in on the conversations! Who doesn’t love her?

3. Support worthy causes

We all have either extra time or money that we can donate to worthy causes! Instead of buying pizza this weekend with your girls, try to set aside five dollars to send to Distributing Dignity, a non-profit organization that provides bras and feminine hygiene products to homeless women. Support a woman’s right to choose by becoming a volunteer escort at your local Planned Parenthood. There are so many ways to show your support, get out there and do it!

4. Take a GWS course

Put Intro to Gender & Women’s Studies into your enrollment cart ASAP. GWS courses challenge you to listen to others’ ideas, questions, experiences and more. Knowledge is power! 

5. Show your classmates where you stand

Photo Courtesy of feministapparel.com

Don’t wait for someone else to make a bold statement, make it yourself! Dress for the occasion by checking out Feminist Apparel, an online clothing store made for bada** feminists like you. The money you spend on cute tees, sweatshirts, socks and stickers goes towards “further outreach, education, and activism.” 

6. Shower your fellow feminists with love

Don’t be stingy with the “Like” button. The next time you see a fellow feminist posting an article to social media that fires you up, blow up their timeline with positivity and encouragement. When someone speaks out against hate and/or violence, stand behind them! 

Be the change you wish to see in the world, my friends!

URI Her Campus Senior Editor. Third year student-athlete majoring in Gender & Women's Studies/Sociology. You can find me in the library sporting my black leggings/oversized sweater combo, my eyes glued to an autobiography written by one of my many feminist heroes. Sipping an iced coffee of course!