6 Ways To Look Better Without Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

As much as we all love wearing makeup, it’s actually a lot better for your skin to wear it less often. So many people are uncomfortable with the way their skin looks without makeup, which makes it harder for them to go makeup-free. Here are some tips that will help you look better without makeup so you can feel confident and fresh whenever you go bare-faced!

Photo by STIL on Unsplash

1. Drink tons of water

Water is the key to glowing and gorgeous skin. Remembering to take a water bottle with you every day is SO important. Try to remind yourself to keep drinking it throughout the day. Instead of drinking juice, soda, or other sugary drinks, drink water with every meal instead.

If you don’t love the taste of regular water, try adding some lemon, cucumber, or other fruits to your water!

Photo by Monika Grabkowska on Unsplash

2. Develop a great skincare routine

Having a solid skincare routine is a great way to keep your skin looking great. The best routines are super simple but include high quality products! A good skincare routine consists of a good cleanser, a serum/oil and a moisturizer.

If you struggle with acne scarring, try applying rosehip oil every night before you go to bed. It will slowly fade the scars and you’ll wake up with glowing skin every morning.

3. Always remove all of your makeup

Speaking about makeup, when you do wear it, ALWAYS be sure to remove all of it. Sleeping in your makeup is a major ‘skin-sin.’ Sleeping in your makeup can clog your pores, cause blackheads and can even make your skin age at a faster pace. No matter how tired you are, always remove your makeup! My favorite way to remove makeup is with grape seed oil. It’s natural, doesn’t clog pores and removes every trace of makeup.

Photo by Septian simon on Unsplash

4. Get enough sleep

Who wants dark bags under their eyes? We all get them sometimes, but the best way to prevent them is to sleep enough every single night (7-8 hours). Beauty sleep is real…you need it!

Photo by elizabeth lies on Unsplash

5. Eat your fruits and veggies

Ever heard the saying “you are what you eat”? It’s true. Certain foods will cause your skin to breakout and look dull. Make sure you’re eating enough fruits and vegetables so it shows through on your skin.

Photo by Brooke Lark on Unsplash

6. Keep your eyebrows groomed 

If you keep your eyebrows groomed and trimmed, it will draw attention to your face and even help shape it. 

Photo by Luca Iaconelli on Unsplash

Hannah is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent of URI's chapter of Her Campus. She will graduate from the University of Rhode Island in 2019 with a BA in Communication Studies and a double minor in Business and Writing/Rhetoric. Hannah grew up in York, Maine and followed her love for the ocean to Rhode Island for her undergraduate degree. You can usually find her at the beach with SPF 75 in hand or trying to master a new yoga pose. Check out her Instagram (hannah.k.will) to keep up!