5 Things to Do When Politics Come Up at Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Politics are currently a HOT topic, however, arguing over politics over the holidays with friends and family is pretty much the last thing any of us want. Unfortunately, it’s unavoidable. Some Christmas Grinch will bring up the dreaded topic and tensions in the room will skyrocket. What should you do, you ask? Here are some options:

1. Run

Your family and friends might be confused, but it might just be the only way to escape the madness.

2. Fall to the ground

People will probably be nervous that you’ve fainted, but alas, you are simply traumatized by the conversation.

3. Start screaming over everyone

What you can’t hear can’t hurt you, right?

4. Stuff your face with marshmallows or any other tasty dessert

Create a distraction. Hopefully it will distract the whole room… but even if it simply distracts you from the disgusting conversation, that’s a win.

5. Announce that you have an announcement and proceed to leave the room

Goodbye, suckers. Enjoy your discussion about our unfortunate choice of a president. I, for one, will be enjoying Christmas.

Hannah is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent of URI's chapter of Her Campus. She will graduate from the University of Rhode Island in 2019 with a BA in Communication Studies and a double minor in Business and Writing/Rhetoric. Hannah grew up in York, Maine and followed her love for the ocean to Rhode Island for her undergraduate degree. You can usually find her at the beach with SPF 75 in hand or trying to master a new yoga pose. Check out her Instagram (hannah.k.will) to keep up!