The 5 Stages of Grief at the End of a URI Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

It feels like just yesterday you moved into your freshman dorm and got your first taste of what living on your own is like.  It feels like a lifetime ago, but also like it was yesterday at the same time.  You’ve spent your time sort-of-kind-of-not-really adulting with the help of your roomies, friends, profssors and advisors.  You’ve taken a ton of pictures to try to capture an ounce of all the fun you’ve had.  Now with finals staring you dead in the eye, it’s safe to say that you’re feeling all the feelings.  You might even be going through The 5 Stages of Grief.

1.   Denial

Sure, it’s May and you have more or less 5 finals to study for, but whatever.  That’s why they made reading days, right?  Why is everyone freaking out?  Why are my roommates starting to pack up their stuff?  Can everyone just slow down?  We have time.

2.  Anger

What do you mean we have to move out by next weekend?!  The semester is over?  Why hasn’t my Gradebook been updated on Sakai since January?  HELLOOO PROFESSOR, how am I supposed to know how poorly I am doing in your class if you don’t post my grades, or answer my e-mails?  Selfish.  I shouldn’t have been so nice in your course eval.  If I fail, it is entirely your fault.  I pay how much in tuition for this? This school sucks.  You suck.

3.  Bargaining

*e-mails professors to remind them that I am a nice, good person who deserves an A despite those late assignments and skipped classes*

*texts landlord begging to extend the lease a few more days so I can day drink to avoid responsibilities waiting for me at home*

4.  Depression

But I just got here.  And what am I going to do without my roommates?  I have to wait like four months before another Bonvue Thursday.  I can’t go that long.  Who is going to share their clothes with me?  Who is going to tell me all the crazy sh*t I did last night? My friends from home?  THEY DON’T KNOW ME LIKE THAT ANYMORE.

5.  Acceptance

There’s nothing I can do about it.  The ending of another semester at good ol’ Rhody is inevitable.  I just need to make the best of my time here, because it really is going by way too fast.

URI Her Campus President, Campus Correspondent & Editor in Chief! Jersey Girl. Public Relations & Communication Studies double major. Class of 2O17. Usually at the beach, probably petting the closest dog.