5 Basic Girl Things To Do This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Every season offers activities that can be defined as being “basic”. Throughout the course of the summer our timelines were filled with pictures of sunsets, concert tailgates and sporting events paired with clever captions or song lyrics. With cold weather approaching and pumpkin flavored drinks making their comeback, it’s time for those summer activities to go into hiding and for our beloved fall activities to come back out. Other than posting endlessly about pumpkin spice lattes, what else will basic girls be doing this fall?

Photo Courtesy of Jakob Owens on Unsplash

1. Picking apples

Of all the fruits, apples seem to be the most popular. It’s a good thing that so many people like apples because they are one of the few fruits that can be grown locally and they are great for our bodies. The best part about apples is that you can eat them in so many different ways; pies, sauces, or simply topped with some peanut butter. And to top it all off, apples are a snack that can be eaten on the go for an extra boost of energy!

Every fall, basic girls flock to the orchards not only to pick apples, but also to take basic Instagram photos in the colorful trees.

Don’t lie, we’ve all done it.

Whether it’s your mom posting on Facebook for all her friends to see that your family is bonding or one of your friends posting on Instagram with a pun about apples, apple picking pictures will be at the top of your newsfeed.

Photo Courtesy of Melody Bates on Unsplash

2. Walking through corn mazes

What’s better than getting lost in a field of corn? Well, a lot of things, but that’s not the point. Corn mazes get the heart and the blood pumping when the air gets crisper. It is a fun activity to do in both the day and night. If you want to add some more excitement to the maze, go with a group and make teams. Whichever team makes it out first wins bragging rights! If I have any advice to give you it is to never, and I mean never, watch Children of the Corn before entering a corn maze. Enough said.

Photo Courtesy of Allef Vinicius on Unsplash

3. Go on hayrides

If you go to an apple orchard, corn maze, or pumpkin patch, there will most likely be some type of hayride. As a kid, you may have found them boring. Many of us would actually fall asleep on our parents’ laps during them. Now that we are older, we appreciate them more. While some may be boring, others may be fun and exciting. Some rides bring you from the parking lot to the orchard, some do a loop around the outside of the corn maze, while others are haunted and interactive. I recommend bringing a blanket or a sweatshirt on for your next hayride adventure to avoid the prickly hay wreaking havoc on your behind!

Photo courtesy of Pexels

4. Attending football games

Whether you have season tickets to the Patriots or find yourself in the student section of your school’s football team, fall is for football. If your school’s football team isn’t amazing, that’s okay. Just find a T.V and watch your favorite NFL team (which is your home team, unless you are a traitor). If your family, friends, or significant other gets tickets to a Pats game, then you obviously have to post about it on all social media. Pics or it didn’t happen. 

Photo Courtesy of Marcos Moreas on Unsplash

5. Going to a pumpkin patch to carve pumpkins

Picking the perfect pumpkin is a great feeling. Scooping the seeds out of a pumpkin is not such good of a feeling. It’s easy to feel like your life is spiraling out of control when the tool moves slightly out of the stenciled area while carving your pumpkin. Yet once you put a candle into the finished product, I assure you all the worries will melt away.  Basic girls seem to dominate this activity; you can expect them to carve their sorority letters, or any other Pinterest idea that has been saved on one of their boards for months, into their pumpkin.

Photo courtesy of Unsplash

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix.