david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

10 Trendy Costumes to Try This Halloween Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

With Halloween right around the corner, it is time to brainstorm the perfect costume to celebrate the season. There are different routes you can take in making this decision. Those in relationships tend to gravitate towards couple costumes, some opt-for a scandalous rendition of a Disney character, and others enjoy the simple puns in life. 

If you are hoping to place in a contest or receive a reaction from peers, consider whether the selection is original, recognizable, and relatable. Make sure you know your audience well enough that they will understand your design. Spend some time researching current costume trends. If you align your outfits with themes that have been popular in the past, such as puns, memes, TV shows, etc. your outfit will attract the attention it deserves. 

Here are ten Halloween looks that range from fun throwbacks to cringe-worthy puns, and classic binge-show characters. 

The ‘I Use to Watch That Show!’ Looks

• Curious George and Yellow Hat Man

Although some renditions of this costume pairing are rather sexualized online, the monkey and ‘yellow hat man’ characters will be the talk of the street or party on Halloween. The main obstacle in executing these outfits is the uncommon availability of head-to-toe, yellow and brown clothes. However, a brief search on Amazon may turn this dream into a reality.

• Arthur

An all-time favorite for kids who grew up in the late 90s and early 2000s. Personally, I always imagine what Arthur characters my friends and families would be. All you really need to transform into any of the characters are the right color shirt, jeans, some glasses or earrings as accessories, and a pair of animal ears.

• Emperor’s New Groove

This iconic Disney movie dropped during the 2000 millennium after gifts such as The Lion King and Tarzan. Kuzco, the emperor of the movie, is known for his red robe, turquoise earrings, and a gold crown. Strive for his prestige, and you’ll rule!

The ‘Simple Puns in Life’ Looks

• Life Gives You Lemons

This is for your friend who never stops smiling, and cannot help but be optimistic. The ambitious person who chooses this costume will not hide behind a low maintenance outfit. Rather, this individual will sport a white t-shirt reading life in permanent marker, and eagerly place lemons in the candy baskets of homeowners after singing “Trick or Treat.”

• Holy Cow

Attention all vegans: this outfit is for you. Match a halo and wings with an all-white outfit scattered with cut-out black spots. You are the epitome of a casual, pro-veganism and animal rights campaign. Picture dressing up as an adorable angel cow, while advocating for a topic you care about. You will remind onlookers that cows are equally beautiful creatures, and possibly even convince some to make dietary changes in their own lives. 

• Now Watch Me Whip, Watch me Nae Nae

One friend is Cool Whip, and one friend has a horse head with a speech bubble saying Nae Nae. Need I say more? Print-out a Cool Whip logo, slap it on a shirt and visit your local Walmart for a horse mask.

• Ice Ice Baby

Grab a friend or lover and draft up your own version of an ice bag. This can entail wearing a plastic garbage as a dress or shirt, add an ICE logo on the front, and stuff clear items inside to make an ice bag shape. Next, find a baby. Could be your own, a little sister you were told to sit for the night, or a forgotten about American Girl doll. Three people involved with this costume: ice, ice, and baby. 

• Cereal Killer

Simply wear sly black clothes, tape a Cheerios box to your shirt, and use leftover fake blood from past Halloween costumes to kill the game.

The ‘Netlfix Galore’ Looks

• Eleven from Stranger Things

It doesn’t get better than walking around with some Eggo waffles. Tribute the incredible Stranger Things series on Netflix with a look dedicated to the fearless character, Eleven. Pair a blond wig or shaved head with a light pink dress, white-collar, blue oversized jacket, and some retro striped socks. When it comes to makeup, paint on a nosebleed. Do not forget the Eggos, you will get hungry throughout the night.

• Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation

Savers has some egg-cellent breakfast item costumes. For all avid Parks and Recreation show fans, Ron Swanson loves his breakfast. Grab a friend and team-up! One friend is bacon and eggs. To master “the Ron Swanson,” purchase or grow a mustache, a pair of khakis, a belt, and a burgundy polo-button shirt. DIY a mug for the character’s cup of joe that states: “give me all of the bacon and eggs you have.” After Halloween, gift the mug to a friend to commemorate a well-spent Halloween.

My name is Clara Crawford. I am a senior studying public relations and business at the University of Rhode Island. In my free time I like read, paint, and go on adventures to farmers markets with my friends.