etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Songs that Will be Overplayed by Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

We know all the words, whether we want to or not.  Let’s all give a huge thanks to our local radio stations for overplaying our favorite songs.  Now that Blurred Lines and Happy are starting to fade out, it’s time for new tunes to move in and claim spots on the dreaded “overplayed songs list” this summer.

1. Uptown Funk by Bruno Mars

BruNO, not again!  (But you know I’m still gonna belt out the “Uptown funk you up” part)

2. Let it Go by Idina Menzel

I wish I could make my radio turn frozen when this comes on.

3. Shake It Off / Blank Space by Taylor Swift

Is Taylor’s album titled “1989” because that’s the year she was born OR because that’s her goal for ‘radio play count’ of all her singles? P.S. Style is next.

4. Stay With Me / I’m Not the Only One by Sam Smith

There’s no doubt that Sam Smith is incredible, but how many times in a row can one girl listen to a sad ballad without getting bored?

5. Fancy by Iggy Azalea

I – G – G – whY is this still on?  We get it – we know you’re fancy, we liked your cute music video re-creating Clueless, and we memorized all of the rap stanzas.  What more do you want from us?

6. Love Me Harder by Ariana Grande

Ariana, you’re giving me a grande headache.  Time to retire this one, along with the cat ears, go-go boots, and hairstyle.

7. Love Me Like You Do / Earned It by Ellie Goulding and The Weekend

50 Shades of “I literally just heard this 2 minutes ago.”

8. FourFiveSeconds by Kanye West, Rihanna, and Paul McCartney

Sure, this song is relatively new, but we all know Kanye likes to overstay his welcome. 

9. Sugar by Maroon 5

Adam Levine may be sweet, but this hit is about to turn sour.

10. Shut Up and Dance by WALK THE MOON

I’m calling it – this will be the “Summer Song of 2015.”  It may be overplayed, but it’s so painfully catchy that I’ll let this one slip.

Jamie is a freshman Communication Studies major at the University of Rhode Island. While she is not mourning the loss of Chelsea Lately, she enjoys watching Saturday Night Live, taking Buzzfeed quizzes, or making the mistake of stalking Instagram food accounts while on an empty stomach. Sarcasm is her forte and she strongly believes in leggings and reality television; if she cannot be a Kardashian, at least she can write about them.