10 Reasons Why October Is The Best Month of The Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Well, it’s offical… summer 2015 has officially come to an end. Don’t get me wrong, summer is my favorite time of the year, but after thinking about what’s to come I’ve realized how great of a month October really is. Get ready to shake out those post-summer blues because this October is going to be a great one!

1. Pumpkin EVERYTHING

The month of October really shines through in the Pumpkin department. Pumpkin Spice Lattes, pumpkin scented candles, pumpkin doughnuts, roasted pumpkin seeds, I even saw an advertisement for pumpkin flavored Oreos! The obsession that most of us have with pumpkin will be in full effect this October.

2. The changing leaves

Rhode Island is notorious for it’s beautiful leaves in the fall. You can bet that the Instagram game will be at an all time high this fall because the New England trees will get a lot of likes.

3. Haunted hayrides

Haunted hayrides are so much fun to go on with a big group of friends. Haunted hayrides are definitely not a recommended activity if you don’t like being scared because they tend to get pretty creepy, but if you’re into it they are a ton of fun! 

4. Homecoming

Homecoming weekend always has a lot to of fun things to offer. Especially the homecoming football game which is always a great time. There’s a big tailgate, and everybody is showing their Rhody pride a little extra that day. Watch the Rams take on Richmond during this year’s Homecoming football game.

5. Flannels on flannels on flannels

The weather isn’t too hot but not too cold either, which makes flannels the top choice in October. They’re super comfy and extremely cute! Be prepared to see tons of people rocking their flannels around campus in October.

6. Professional Sports

If you’re a sports fan, October is a crucial month for you. First off, the MLB playoffs and World Series take place in October. Second of all, football season is in full swing and Monday Night football continues to be the best thing ever. Third, the NBA kicks off it’s season toward the end of October which means we all get to see Steph Curry’s beautiful face all over TV.

7. Sweater weather

No, I’m not referring to that extremely catchy song by The Neighbourhood, I’m referring to the coziest article of clothing in the whole world. The month of October allows you to break out all of those super cute sweaters that you’ve stowed away during the summer. So the time has finally come, let sweater season commence.

8. Lots and lots of candy

October is a month when not only some of the best kinds of candy make a comeback (yes candy corn, I’m talking about you) but it’s completely acceptable to eat candy for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Granted you may be bouncing off the walls and your roommates might be a little scared, but it’s October so live it up!

9. Halloween movies…

October is the perfect month to watch all of the Halloween classics like Hocus Pocus and Halloweentown. It’s also a perfect time to get in the Halloween spirit by watching scary movies. Tune into ABC Family’s 13 Nights of Halloween marathon to watch scary movies at anytime of day starting October 19!

10. …and Halloween in general

Halloween in college is awesome because it’s more like “Halloweek.” When URI students have a reason to celebrate, the festivities will last a long time. It’s possible that people will still be dressing up in costumes into November, but it’s totally normal. 

Happy October!