This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Since we were children, we have been continuously exposed in different ways to the ideas and standards of what perfection and beauty should look like. From the toys we play with, that have a specific body type, to the cartoons we watch that have a stereotypical appearance. Kids grow with these ideas and are not taught to question them. We are taught that we need to look a certain way to be attractive, loved, and successful.

As we grow, these stereotypes do not stop chasing us; they get worse and more persistent. By the time we are teenagers, we are not to compare ourselves anymore to cartoons or toys, but to other humans. Social media, stores, fashion brands, movies, and more  are continually promoting these negative and nonsensical thoughts.

Social media can be a fantastic place, but it can also be very dark and toxic. The thing about social media is that  it’s not real. It shows us what people want to portray themselves as, not what their lives look like. It sets false standards on what looks good and  what people should look like if they want to have followers.

After we are fed all these ideas, we are told to accept ourselves and to love our bodies. The big paradox of loving our bodies the way they are, while continuously being told that they are not good enough, damages our self esteem. 

Although there has been a rise in the diversity of body types in the media and brand campaigns in the last few years, the unremarkable, adored, and glorified figures are still the same perfect measurements and body types from years ago. With a generation that grows more exposed to social media and the internet, people are more prone to compare themselves.

The idea that being skinny equals healthy and pretty has solidified among youngsters. Just do a quick search on YouTube on how to lose weight, and you’ll see the amount of unhealthy and toxic ideas shared on the platform. These have developed more significant problems, including mental illnesses, physical illnesses like body dysmorphia, depression, bulimia, anorexia, and more. It is a sad and disgusting fact that today’s society still promotes damaging and unrealistic ideals. We should take a stand and put a stop to it once and for all.

Social media can be extremely triggering by promoting unrealistic goals as healthy and attractive. Since we are increasingly dependent on social media, we find ourselves constantly exposed to these damaging and unrealistic goals. It is important to remember that healthy looks different for everyone.

Thankfully, not everything on social media is fake or discomforting. There are a lot of people spreading the message of body positivity. We should all encourage and support movements that promote the idea that all bodies are beautiful. We are all worthy of love, respect, and opportunities.

If you are having problems accepting your body, you are not alone. This is also not your fault, and you should know that you are not the one that needs to change—society is the one that needs to improve and adapt. Accepting our bodies is so hard because we are exposed to stereotypes that make us feel insecure on a daily basis. 

Remember, you are more than just your looks. You are your brain, ideas, creativity, dreams, soul, and much more. Every type of body is lovely and beautiful; it allows you to do the things you like and are good at. It is hard to have these positive thoughts when almost everything around you tells you otherwise. But please, believe and know that you are enough and that you are terrific in your own way.

Valeria Martinez is a senior writer at Her Campus UPRM. This is her fourth year on Her Campus. She focuses on writing about popular culture, social issues, and mental health. She also completed an internship with Her Campus Media. Beyond Her Campus, Valeria is a Digital Marketing intern for Puerto Rico Wire Group. She also interned for the non-profit organization Thirst Project, managing their socials and creating content for them. One of her poems is to be published in Sabanas Bilingual Magazine. She currently works as a Digital Marketing intern. Valeria is an English Literature undergraduate student also doing a minor in Writing and Communications at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus. In her free time, Valeria loves going to the beach, reading, the movies, and cafe hopping. She is also a musical enthusiast and theatre kid who can't go out most of the time because "she's got practice." Her ultimate goal is to become a Journalist focusing on Latin Communities. She plans to move to NYC to Graduate School at the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at the City University of New York next year.
Andrea Méndez Igartua is pursuing a major in psychology and a minor in writing and communications. She's passionate about reading and writing, and hopes to publish a novel one day.