This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

I used to be the girl who would read past her bedtime. I stayed up for long hours, seeing scenes of the stories come to life right in front of my eyes. Books became my best friends; portals to a different dimension in which I was part of. I would feel what the characters were feeling; I would identify with them. I would smile, laugh, cry, burst in anger or frustration, and–even–scream at one point or another. My mom had to talk me into doing secular activities, such as eating or socializing, because I would devour books for hours and forget about my reality.

Books are part of many people’s lives. The love for literature usually starts with hearing your parents or any other relative read you a story at night and then, you are the one reading the story to yourself or to someone else in hopes of dragging them into this world of imagination and adventure. Although I had many books at home, there was a specific book series that was strictly forbidden: The Harry Potter saga. I grew up in a Christian environment, and having books about magic and witchcraft was definitely a no-no. I’m almost certain this was the reality for many; at one point of their lives, some books were just banned.

But, the rebel in me did not give up. I am part of the Harry Potter [films] generation, being twelve when the main characters were eleven. So, one can say, I grew up with them. I found clandestine ways to read the books and watch the movies. And I learned so much from them, and these are some of the reasons why I highly believe Harry Potter should not be banned: (Picture found in 9gag.com)

Books Are Lifesavers:

From Hermione Granger, I learned that being educated can save someone’s life. I also learned that books are not only portals that enable us to escape reality once in a while, but also tools that help us reach our goals in life. Anyone familiar with the Harry Potter saga knows that Hermione’s love for reading and learning saves people in many occasions, including life and death situations. (Picture found in Pinkwriting)

Friends Are Life’s Gems:    

Liffe can be pretty hectic, especially during school years in which students struggle with their studies while growing up. Harry Potter taught me that even those who are different or come from a diverse background will still find people who value, cherish, and accept them not only for who they are, but in spite of who they are. Good friends will push you in the right direction, follow you when you go astray, and walk by your side even through the darkest paths. (Picture found in jimijjemel.com)  

One’s Background is Not an Excuse to Give Up:

Growing up in a broken household can be quite traumatic. But this saga has a plethora of examples of people who do not come from the best background and still do everything in their power to succeed in life. For example, Harry is an abused orphan. Neville’s parents are in a mental hospital. Luna is raised by her father, who is considered an outcast, because her mother died when she was young. And Ron comes from a poor household. All of them–and many others–struggle, but still find ways to keep moving forward.

Even though Harry Potter taught me beautiful ideals, it also taught me darker realities: (Picture found in aminoapps.com)

Some People Will Judge You Based on Your Social Class:

Pedigree is a controversial topic in the saga and one that has extremely negative repercussions. The story portrays that people are not only judged for being from a lower social class or not coming from a pure bloodline, but they are also being punished and,in some cases, sentenced to die for being of a mixed bloodline. However, one will still see characters who are willing to fight against this bigotry. (Picture found in zimbio.com)

People Making Decision about Education Do Not Always Have the Best Interest at Heart:

When the Ministry of Magic takes over Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, they make a myriad of regulations that instead of helping students, affecting them quite negatively. Even so that some professors or faculty members give themselves the liberty to punish, mistreat, and abuse students. Moreover, Harry Potter insightfully portrays the dangers of corrupting the education system when it becomes a political agenda. However, the saga also shows that it is important for people to stand up against these injustices even if one has to stand alone.

(Picture found in elitedaily.com)  

When Oppression Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty:

As the saga advances, so do injustices. There comes a point when bigots, supremacists, and racists take over the Ministry of Magic and over Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, killing people because of their social or bloodline status. But the saga shows that when oppression happens, it is time to raise up and fight against it. The most wonderful aspect about this is that the teenagers are the ones who are fighting back and adults not only join them, but also support them. Hence, no matter how dark it might get, good triumphs evil. Thus, these characters serve as role models who are filling to resist and battle despotism, persecution, and oppression.

There are a myriad of lessons I’ve learned and continue learning from Harry Potter and as an English instructor as I’ve even learned to incorporate them into my classes. Students debate and write about controversial topics found in the saga including abuse of power, domestic violence, corruption in education, social classes, among others. Although magic is the essence of the saga, there are many dark themes to be explored which is why Harry Potter should not be a banned book.

What are your reasons for loving Harry Potter?

Lorainne Blair is an English graduate student and teaching assistant UPRM. Her research interests include Creative Writing, Gothic Literature, Popular Culture, Feminist Studies, Mythology, Romanticism, Occult Studies, and Shakespearean Drama. Her long term career goals are to become a writer and an editor. Besides all these wonderful goals in mind, she also desires to travel the world and meet other cultures and their traditions.
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.