samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Whats Up With #FreeKesha?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Ever wondered where all those ‘one hit wonders’ from your childhood ended up?  You might have just assumed they ran out of talent and luck, and had to settle down for a boring nine to five job. But not for Kesha Sebert, or how may of you may remember her, Ke$ha. Kesha first got of the the lime light back in 2009 with her single ‘Tick-Tock.’ She realesed four not-total-flop albums, ‘Animal’ (2009), ‘Cannibal’ (2010), and ‘Warrior’ (2011), yet for most of us her existence was sort of forgotten. Yet Kesha has returned in to the public eye in recent news, ‘why?’ you may ask? No, she didn’t O.D. with drugs or get alcohol intoxication as her party-girl persona may lead you to believe; it’s more complicated than you might think.

Kesha was remembered as pop-music’s party girl with anthems about hot hook-ups, drugs, and alcohol. Yet, in recent news the public has been given evidence to think that the persona was false. A movement called #FreeKesha has emerged on the web claiming that all her songs, her persona, and her style are being forced on her by her producer Lukasz ‘Dr. Luke’ Gottwald. At 18 the singer signed an eight-album contract with Kemosabe Records, or more specifically producer Dr. Luke. There has been numerous buzz about Kesha having no creative control over her music, that it is being completely managed by Dr. Luke. This can be seen clearly in an interview by Rolling Stone Magazine, when asked about the creative control the singer stated, “What’s been put out as singles have just perpetuated a particular image that may or may not be completely accurate. I’d like to show the world the other side of my personality. I don’t want to just continue putting out the same song and becoming a parody myself. I have so much more to offer than that and I can’t wait till the world rally gets to hear that on the radio.1”

Another event in relation to her claiming lack of control over her music occurred back in 2012 with her single ‘Die Young.’ The single was realesed near the time of the tragic Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, which provoked the song to be under a lot of scrutiny from the public. Kesha defended herself by tweeting, “I understand. I had my very own issue with ‘Die Young’ for this reason. I did NOT want to sing those lyrics and I was FORCED TO.”

Not only has Kesha been denied publication of various self-written songs, but in October the singer filed a lawsuit with allegations of Dr. Luke of having physically, verbally, and sexually abused her. The twenty seven year old accuses her producer Dr. Luke of having, in a very Bill Cosby-manner, drugged and raped her. She also claims that his violating her and threatening to take away her publishing rights drove her to developing bulimia. Her lawyer Mark Geragos elaborated that the abuse started back when she was eighteen years old.2 According to Billboard, the lawsuit has yet to commence trial in California court due to various appeals on Dr. Luke’s side.3

Thankfully Kesha is successfully on a road to recovery in the present. After spending two months in rehab the star completed her treatment and chose to change the ‘$’ in her name for her original birth name.  Not only have her fans been active in Kesha’s war for her freedom, but this February the star was seen and heard when she wore a dress with the words ‘You Will Never Own Me’ for New York Fashion Week. 

We hope Kesha continues being her strong, awesome self and not let anything stop her.

Want to cooperate in Kesha’s fight for freedom? You can sign the petition here: http://freekesha.com/

Bibliography:

1Spitznagel, Eric. “Ke$ha Talks Vaginal Exorcism and Dr. Luke Controversy.” Rolling Stone Magazine. October 24, 2013.

2 Gardner, Eriq. Halperin, Shirley. “Inside Kesha & Dr. Luke’s Dueling Lawsuits.” Billboard. October 26, 2014.

3Gardner, Eriq. “Kesha Wins Round in Nasty Legal Battle.” Billboard. March 20, 2015.

Warner, Kara. “Ke$ha Responds to Sandy Hook ‘Die Young’ Controversy.” MTV. December 18, 2012.

Photos:

http://arcadey.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Keha-Fans-Dr.-Luke.jpg

http://36.media.tumblr.com/52284f0e1270fa257ed8011937cf2951/tumblr_inline_nu9l1htJYF1s5asng_1280.jpg

http://www.mtv.com/news/1699157/kesha-die-young-sandy-hook-controversy-response/

A History of Europe major at Universidad de Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras. She is a natural born leader that loves to get involved in all sorts of activities; loves animals, painting, and sleeping while it's raining. Plans on becoming a lawyer after graduating from 'la IUPI'.
Her Campus at UPRM