“We’ve Got Something To Say and You Better Listen”: Baby Bhang Explore New Sounds in Their Full Length Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Puerto Rico’s independent music scene is opening the door for a variety of musicians to explore sounds not regularly found in the island’s mainstream. Among these are pop punk, new wave, and synth pop, all of which are experimented by young band Baby Bhang in their debut album We’ve Got Something to Say and You Better Listen (WGSTSAYBL), a project that shows the group stretching their creative muscles.

(cover art for the project)

Baby Bhang’s first full-length project kicks off the fast paced “1 to Six,” a tune that might create mosh pits when performed live. Then we are treated to “BFF&E,” the first tune in the LP to see the group experiment with keyboards while keeping their pop punk roots. Afterwards, the group delivers “Get It,” a song that continues to show the band experimenting with synths while adding a few dance rock elements. As the project moves along, listeners are provided with “Fist Face,” a fast-paced track that shows Baby Bhang going back to their pop punk roots in full form until they show a bit of their reggae and new wave influences. The fifth entry in the album comes in the form of “Diet Coke,” a reggae and dub-influenced song that shows the group’s continuous experimentation of sounds while providing some laid back summer vibes. Then the band close the first half of the LP with the new wave influenced “Nite,” a danceable track that explores the night life.

(picture found on the group’s Facebook)

The second half of WGSTSAYBL kicks off with “Limbo,” a tune that sees the group going deeper into the spectrums of new wave and synth pop. The following entry in the project is the more pop punk rooted track “Baked,” a tune that will definitely appeal to a younger audience. After the adrenaline fueled “Baked,” Baby Bhang deliver “Sir Universe,” a much more laid back tune that should calm listeners down. However, we are then thrown once again into the field of fast paced influenced pop punk with “Buy a Goat,” a tune that will make young audiences dance. Afterwards, Baby Bhang deliver the dance rock and dub fusion of “Pafter Arty,” which will have some shaking their bodies for a while. Finally, the project closes with “Ignition Start,” a new wave and psychedelia influenced track that will keep listeners dancing and, perhaps, meditating for a while.

(picture found on the group’s Facebook)

Baby Bhang’s full-length debut WGSTSAYBL is a project that shows the band’s fearless mindset towards exploring other sounds while keeping their pop punk roots on their sleeves, thereby showing a young group of musicians who are not afraid to grow while always remembering where they came from.

Listen to We’ve Got Something to Say and You Better Listen on Spotify

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.