“Verdugo”: FOKINFROID Expands on His Late Night Blend of Trap and R&B

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

As one of the most active members of the latest hip hop scene in Puerto Rico’s underground, FOKINFROID has been one known for blending elements of trap, R&B and regular rap. Not too long ago, he collaborated with Vento Alejandro, Nebu OTB and ERRE 3:18 to release their first project as Los Raros with “Los Raros VLMN1.” In addition, he recently dropped his first EP as a solo artist, “Verdugo,” which continues to show his mixture of the aforementioned genres as well as the dark and sexual atmosphere explored the previously mentioned group EP.

Starting off “Verdugo,” is “Las Freaky,” a melodic trap track with late night vibes for the ladies that shows his ability to sing and rap while practicing Spanglish. Afterwards, he continues to explore sex and the late night atmosphere with the tunes “Quiero Velte” and “Mi Clan,” which also show FROID displaying his ability to blend R&B and trap rap in a successful manner. Finally, FROID finishes “Verdugo” with “Trap Boy Killer,” a song that shows the artist putting himself on top of the underground scene as he flexes about his musical and lyrical abilities.

In short, “Verdugo” is a great and to-the-point EP that continues to show FROID’s artistic exploits, potential mainstream appeal and the expansion of the sound set by Los Raros’ work so far.

All of the pictures in this article were found in FROID’s Twitter

Listen to “Verdugo” on Spotify

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.