This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

If you are looking for some new shows to binge watch with some friends or just by yourself, but you want the shows to be good but somewhat underrated, well here are the perfect ones for you that you. Here are some underrated shows you must have on your watchlist:

iZombie

iZombie is about a girl named Liv Moore who is a medical student that got invited to a boat party which turns into a massacre done by zombies. When she wakes up from the dead and becomes a zombie she abandons the life she used to have and begins to work at a morgue with the police department to solve murders by eating the brains of those who died. Eating the brain of those who died give her memories and traits of that person and helps detective Clive Babineaux to solve the murders.

Freakish

Freakish is about a group of students at Kent High School that while they are attending Saturday detention at the school, a chemical plant meltdown causes an explosion in their small town. They are then stuck at school finding their way of surviving the craziness that is happening. The predatory mutant freaks have taken over the school and town, leading to a battle between them and the students. Escape is not an option because venturing outside into the dangerous unknown presents its own life-and-death stakes for the teenagers. They must find the perfect plan on how to survive and escape the place without risking their lives.

Bates Motel

Bates Motel is about a guy named Norman Bates, after the death of his father, Norman and his mom decide to start a new life and move to a place far away from where they were and open a hotel. But Norman is not a normal guy, he suffers from mental problems and this drives them down a dark and violent path making his mom hide every track of what he has done. His mom doesn’t want to admit that he is not stable and she wants nobody to find out the things he has done and what he is really capable of.

The Night Shift

The Night Shift is about a doctor at San Antonio Memorial named T.C. Callahan who struggles to find balance between saving lives, running a hospital and dealing with his personal life. He faces the dangerous task of running the emergency room and his best friend who often try to keep T.C out of trouble who is a former Army doctor Drew and T.C.’s ex-girlfriend Jordan; and surgical resident, Paul. The rigors of the job may expose some personal weaknesses, but the job of saving the life of others bring them together as close like a family.

Castle

Castle is about this mystery novelist that is bored with his success of his book and then decides it would be a good idea to team up with NYPD Detective Kate Beckett to solve the case of a copycat killer who recreates murder scenes from his novels. While solving the case, the two realize that their partnership has its benefits and they were a good team then they decide to continue working together. Combining his writer’s intuition with her creative detective work, they investigate strange homicides in New York, and in the process building a strong, complicated relationship between each other.

The Get Down

Set in the late 1970s, when New York was in the brink of bankruptcy and disco began to die out, The Get Down narrates the rise hip-hop through the lives of adolescents living in the Bronx. Zeke, an orphan living with his aunt, meets Shaolin Fantastic, a graffiti artist who dreams of becoming a DJ. Together, along with Ra-Ra, Dizzee, and Boo, they become The Get Down Brothers. Zeke’s girlfriend, Mylene Cruz, aspires to be a disco star but her religious father forbids her from doing so. The series offers a glimpse into the underground scenes of New York, from violent gangs to shady politics; laced with news clips from the 70s, The Get Down aligns the story of its city with the struggles of its residents.

3%

This Brazilian series takes place in the near-future, where poverty and diseases are on the rise; every year, all the 20-year-olds have a chance to partake in national competition for a place in Mar Alto, a utopic island, where the resident live in peace and prosperity. Only 3% of the population passes the test. The story follows some of the candidates on their way through the process, as well as the people in charge of conducting it. Highlighting topics like the social divide and survival, 3% proves to keep its watchers on edge as well as guide them through the complexity of Mar Alto and the process.

She’s Gotta Have It

She’s Gotta Have It, based on a movie with the same name, is a Netflix original series that follows the story of biracial artist, Nola Darling, as she navigates her relationship with three men: Jamie, a thoughtful businessman, Mars, a jaunty delivery boy, and Greer, an arrogant photographer. Through her relationships (with her friends and lovers) and art, Nola explores her independence and her self without constraints. The protagonist represents all of us who are slowly coming to terms with who we are and what we search for. What I liked the most about this show was how Nora’s own sense of empowerment made mine feel stronger.

Broadchurch​

Broadchurch is a British crime series that’s set in Dorset, a small town by the coast of England. It begins with the murder of Danny Latimer, an 11-year-old boy. Alec Hardy, a newly-hired detective with a troubled past, bands with Ellie Miller to investigate the crime. The show slowly presents the development of the investigation, as well as the different lives of the residents of Dorset. Broadchurch exposes the psychological impact the murder caused throughout the community. Since the killer is revealed at the last episode, this show promises to keep you at the edge of your seat.

Kim’s Convenience

If you’re looking for a light-hearted sitcom, then you should definitely watch Kim’s Convenience. The Canadian sitcom centers around a  Korean-Canadian family. Mr. Kim, the head of the family, runs a convenience store that many quirky locals visit; his daily misadventures and encounters are witty and amusing. Mrs. Kim, who dreams of mending Mr. Kim’s relationship with their son, constantly meddles in the lives of her daughter, son and husband. Jane, their daughter, is often left to deal with her parents’ traditionalism and their overparenting. As it presents the dynamics of this immigrant family in Toronto, Kim’s Convenience will make its audience laugh.

All the shows that were mentioned above, are some shows that we consider that are underrated and that they deserve more views from people. They all present a very wide range of story lines that it can fit the taste of a lot of people. If you are into crimes, zombie, romance, action, comedy, fiction, creepy, all those thing, well I really do recommend you adding these ones to your watchlist because they will not disappoint you. When you do end up watching them you can then recommend them to your close friends or even on social media.

Ámbar is an English (Linguistics) and Comprative Literature student at UPRM. She’s fond of watching Jane the Virgin, reading, writing, cooking and drinking tea.
My name is Angelique Matos, most people call me Angie and I am from Cabo Rojo. I am an English major on my third year studying linguistics and I have an obsession with fashion and makeup.
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.