The Ultimate CAAMpus Cutie: Tarzán

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

What other CAAMpus Cutie could be more perfect for this week than the sweet, “baboso” and adorable Tarzán? This cutie is the most photographed personality on campus and is an emblematic symbol of the courage and determination of all Colegio students and athletes. You may see Tarzán around campus on any day, because his caretakers often take him on walks around his alma mater.  With the Justas happening right this moment, many of you have already seen this beauty or will definitely see him during the athletes’ parade.

Name: Tito, aka Tarzán

Age: 7

Hometown: Mayagüez, PR

Caretaker: Carlos Díaz

Favorite snack: Plain yogurt

A lot of people do not know how did Tarzán arrive at “el Colegio”, can you tell us a bit about how it happened?

Díaz: The class of 1935 is actually the artifice of the “grito Tarzán”, which is when UPRM actually acquired the name of “tarzanes”. Back then the IUPI had a goat as team mascot and a group of students, that often met at “La Taverna India,  noticed CAAM didn’t: so they decided to come to an agreement to choose one.

Why an English bulldog as UPRM’s mascot?

Díaz: The group of students that met at “La Taverna India” came to an agreement to choose an English bulldog as team mascot in honor of Prime Minister Winston Churchill, because he was known as ‘the English bulldog’”, and most of CAAM’s students were war veterans.

How many caretakers Tarzán has? Does he have a favorite one?

Díaz: I’m Tarzán’s main caretaker, but my kids also help take care of him. My daughter Margarita Díaz Arzola, a true “colegial”, is the one that mostly helps take care of him. She is in charge of the food, vet clinic and care of the dog. When she is not available, my son Manuel Díaz Arzola takes care of him. His favorite caretaker, and the one he gets along with the most, is definitely Margarita.

The English bulldog specifically, is a very sensitive dog in terms of walking and temperature, what are the logistics for him on the day of the athlete’s parade?

Díaz: On the day of the athletes’ parade I park the car inside of the stadium with the a/c on, Tarzán stays there until UPRM is about to march. We carry him to the curve and then he walks; he doesn’t spend more than 30 minutes in the track, because it might get too hot for him and he is very short.

Mónica Ocasio is a senior majoring in comparative literature, with a minor in Italian at the University of Puerto Rico- Mayagüez. Born, raised and living in Puerto Rico, Mónica has always enjoyed reading a good book, spending time with her family and baking.