TV Review: Pretty Little Liars “Divide and Conquer”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

There comes a time, during any type of game, that tensions will inevitably rise. Competition does that to people. So, when the stakes are elevated or when the cold dread of losing rushes through a player’s veins, a point of no return is reached. A player then will either rise to the occasion or fumble their way to a lose.

However, there is a third option.

To ragequit™. When anger and frustrations boil over, the only option is to walk away. To take away a game’s power over you by taking back control of the outcome. You leave. When players reach the end of their rope, it’s usually the remaining players that have to now sit and deal with the consequences. This week, in Episode 14, titled “Power Play,” it was our very own Aria Montgomery that blew her top–and walked right into A.D.’s hands, leaving the rest of the Liars to handle the consequences.

Divide and Conquer.

As a fan who believes the heart of the show lies in the Liars’s friendship, it’s a devastating thing to watch. Not even Alison, who came back to life with suspicions still surrounding her, has betrayed the Liars to this degree. The only reason the girls thought she was –A back in Season 5 was because Ali was keeping secrets and making up lies – all of which were the elaborate tale of her kidnapping in order to protect the girls from having to lie about something they didn’t know, and to specifically keep the lid on about Aria killing Shana. The same way that you would expect Alison to betray the girls or Spencer to be the first to kill–it’s not the expected ones that go cause the heartbreak.

However, it’s not actually that surprising to see that it’s Aria who is the first turncoat. And less so when A.D.’s threat is about ruining her relationship with Ezra. Aria has generally always prioritized Ezra over the girls, which left her mostly free of -A’s torture for the first few seasons, and it’s only in the post Ezra’s-book reveal seasons that she’s become a more fully fledged member of the Scooby Gang.

A few other moments springs to mind as well, like that time Alison and Aria trashed Byron Montgomery’s office, the time she whispered in Mona’s ear in the movie theatre causing her to burst into tears, and the time she lied and told the girls it was 100% Alison in a black hoodie that attacked her – despite not ever actually seeing her attacker’s face. So really, are we that surprised that she’s our ragequit™ of the season?

An argument could be made that possibly this is all a double agent act. That there’s still a chance this could be like Spencer back in season 3 when she briefly joined the -A Team. A long con in the hands of a capable character. However it plays out though, the bitterness of such a high betrayal will forever sting.

When the girls go to play again, Liar’s Lament™ skips over what should have been Aria’s turn and heads directly into Hanna’s second turn. Seconds later, Aria gets a text from A.D. asking for her decision about fully joining the winning team.

Moments before, though, Spencer had asked all the girls to stick together, because Aria’s turn was coming up and who knew what A.D. could do to her. Oh Spencer, if only you knew what Aria has done to all of you.

SCORE CARD:

ROUND 4

SHIP WATCH:

Spencer: Ahoy matey, out on the horizon, it is the S.S. Sparco setting sail!

Hanna: No Mona, No Caleb, No Bueno.

Aria: Ezra finally comforts and commits to Aria. However, is it wrong to still feel bad about Nicole being dumped so soon after getting rescued?

Emily: Emily decides to give a might-be-leaving-unless-you-give-me-a-reason-to-stay-Paige a shot and then promptly finds out she is the mother of Alison’s baby in what is one of the most problematic storylines this show has done. Emily’s donated eggs, which were stolen, were fertilized and then implanted into a restrained and drugged Alison back when she was at the Welby State Psychiatric Hospital. Spencer calls it a violation, which it 100% is. Neither girl consented to this nightmare and it seems as though the show hopes to use that to push Emily and Alison together. Coupled that with the rush job on patching up Paige and Emily, it’s clear that the writers care very little about respecting their LGBT characters. Not only are all three about to get saddled with this horrible plot, but neither setup feels earned or genuine. Is Emily only with Paige because Alison said she was unsure back in episode 11? Is she asking her to stay because she truly wants her or because she’s afraid of being alone? And if Alison and Emily do get together as a result of this, the show will have a hard time selling the idea they’re not just together because of the baby. Truly a disservice to both relationships and their entire queer fandom. Who thought any of this was a good idea?

ABSURDITY:

• The board game showed up at Alison’s house all on its own. Now I can’t help but imagine it popping up in the most random of places. At the Radley bar? Sure! At the Brew having some coffee? You betcha! In Pam Fields’s kitchen? No problem! Over at the Church? I mean, let’s be real, it was probably built there.

• Shay Mitchell showed more skin in a two second shirt change than she has in 7 seasons.

• That moment when Alison finds Paige reading her pamphlet and then takes forever to gather her shit from the table in order to storm out had me dying.

• Although the word wasn’t said, but showed on a pamphlet, the show did have a no-big-deal discussion about abortion which I appreciate, even if in the end Ali doesn’t go through with it.

• For some reason, Ezra pointing out that Nicole hailed a “very expensive cab” from NYC to Rosewood kills me. Is he salty about paying the fare? Lmaoo

• “What’s next his kneecaps or his earlobes?”

• Of Late I Think of Rosewood: Pastor Ted is back! And he’s Charlotte’s father. Three things about that: (1) How did Charlotte go to summer camp when she was in Radley her whole life? (2) Pastor Ted uses hotmail (3) Congrats Peter Hastings, you are not the father! That might be the first time in his life he hears those words. He should celebrate. Speaking of Peter Hastings, he comes back to inform us that Mary killed Jessica. And yes, it was just that anticlimactic. Also, Minion-Sydney is back and seemingly afraid of losing whatever game she’s playing with A.D. Also, she shot Spencer, helped Jenna escape, and built the boardgame….? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• “Are we supposed to find a pond or something?”

• This moment:

LINE OF THE NIGHT:

(gif source: spencexhastings)

Stephanie M. Fuentes Álvarez is a sixth year English major at the University of Puerto Rico-Mayagüez Campus. An aspiring writer, she watches copious amounts of television shows in the hopes of one day becoming a possible screenwriter. She considers herself a muse-based poet, a music connoisseur, a professional procrastinator, and a pop-culture junkie.