“Turista:” Fico Rodz Implores Listeners to Travel and Explore Different Cultures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Mayagüez skater and rapper Fico Rodz A.K.A. Fico Raw, has proven how he’s more than capable of intertwining his style into whatever beat he gets his hands on. During his days as a member of the rap group Desde El Campo, he used to do more boom bap hip hop. Eventually, as a solo artist, he continued to use this sound. Recently, he has experimented with trap and chill hop, an example of this being the single “El tiempo pasa volando”, which he released with Mike Rodz and Carly Musa in late January. Now, the musician implores his audience to travel with the reggae and dub influenced track “Turista”.

(art for “Turista” by Dyce Tricks as found on Rodz’s Facebook page)

If you have been following Fico Rodz’s social media, you may have noticed how last year he traveled a lot, be it to promote his music or his Sk8Hop brand with fellow professional and Puerto Rican skater Manny Santiago. In his new S.G.R.P. and Manny Dreads produced track, Fico Rodz raps about his love of traveling, as the chorus states, “to learn new things from other cultures through experience rather than reading.” He continues to rap about how he would travel in any way, “land, sea or air” and how he would love if there were an app with the ability to teleport him to the desired locations. As the song moves, Rodz continues to rap about his love of exploration with those he loves, be it his love interest, family or friends. At the end, he finishes by stating that life is all about unforgettable experiences and he implores listeners to explore and go on an adventure.

(one of the many promos used for the single as found on Rodz’s Facebook page)

The production for “Turista” is yet another element which adds to the sense of adventure explored in the lyrical content. Dub and reggae are usually sounds embraced worldwide and they go hand-in-hand with Rodz’s lyrics where he mentions some of his exploits in New York, the Bahamas, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic. The beat selection also demonstrates growth by the artist also known as Fico Raw. While in the past he used more traditional hip hop sounds like boom bap and trap, with  “Turista” he broadens his repertoire and gives listeners a brief glimpse into his other musical tastes.

(another piece of promo for “Turista” as found in Rodz’s Facebook page)

With his second single in 2018, Fico Rodz demonstrates how he’s ready to get back into the rap game while also showing his ability to explore different musical landscapes. In “Turista”, the musician raps about his love for traveling and he implores his listeners to not be afraid and go out there because one can learn a lot from the books, but actually experiencing different cultures makes the process even better.

Listen to “Turista” on Soundcloud and YouTube

Listen to Fico Rodz on Spotify here

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.