jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

If you have been following independent Boricua trapper José Yellow, also known as Josey, and his crew Mafia China (MFCHN), you are aware of their very active 2018. After releasing singles like “Tropicana,” Millonario, and Cinta Amarilla, Josey returns with fellow MFCHN musician Charlie Boldman to release TURISMO.”

(cover art for TURISMO)

TURISMO” is a song that covers many of the themes usually explored in trap music such as boasting about the money one has, “cadenas de color Homero” (chains the color of Homer), the sacrifices made to achieve success, “na’ de esto fue suerte, saben que tuve que joderme” (none of this was luck, they know what I had to do), and sexual behavior, “nalgas encima de mí ‘tan brincando” (booties on top of me bouncing). However, while the lyrics may not be the most original, the production is what makes this track excel.

(José Yellow art as found on his Facebook page)

The production, led by Charlie B, Botlok, & Yung Boi, is what makes this trap-track outshine the rest in the field. By mixing a regular trap beat with 8-Bit sounds reminiscent of classic video game soundtracks, “TURISMO” makes listeners escape into a world filled with digital grandeur. It can either teleport you to the nostalgic video games of the 80s and early 90s or to the deepest sides of the internet where teens continue to mix different cultures such as anime alongside trap, alternative R&B, and vaporwave to create entirely new forms of aesthetics. The beat behind “TURISMO” is truly an example of the many combinations the Internet has made possible.

(picture of José Yellow as found on his Facebook page)

TURISMO” by Charlie Boldman and José Yellow is a sign of the artists’ musical evolution as they experiment with sounds reminiscent of a time before them, which have become famous once again through the power of the web. While the lyrical content may not be the best out there and certainly not the most original, it’s the beat that outshines anything. Plus, if you don’t really want to pay attention to lyrics, this is still a great addition to anyone’s party playlist.

Listen to “TURISMO” on Soundcloud

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.