sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Trick or Treat to make a change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Don’t we all love Halloween? It’s a day where you can dress up as anything you can imagine and nobody would even think it’s a little weird! Isn’t it fun going out to see what your friends decided to wear this year? Well that’s the main idea for must of us on Halloween, but thanks to the United Nations Children’s Fund, better known as UNICEF that is not the only thing Halloween is about, here in UPRM.

The UNICEF chapter at UPRM has had two main goals since 2002, to raise awareness of extreme poverty and raise funds for children in need. That’s where the rest of the student body comes in, to raise funds since it is entirely voluntary! During Halloween’s week, from the 28th of October to the 1st of November all around campus, the Student center, lobbies of the different buildings like business administration, biology, Stefani and Chardon had a table of volunteers for the Trick or Treat event. This event is a fun way to raise money, where each association sets a table to raise money by different means like selling food, candy, t-shirts, give away candy; they even compete to see who raises more money. The tables have to draw the attention of the students therefore they decorate them in fun, unique ways, volenteers even dress up in their Halloween costumes!  This year at UPRM, UNICEF had a great number of associations as volunteers from all the department including: Campus Verde, Material Advantage, SACNAS, ASCE, SGE, PBL, Psi Chi, Golden Key and Tribeta. The money raised  went directly to UNICEF for causes around the world, to help children with education, protection, vaccines, nutrition and ANY need of a child.

The Trick or Treat event is all around the world, if you wish  to raise money for this great cause you just have to go to http://www.trickortreatforunicef.org and follow some simple steps to order the Trick or Treat Boxes. Thanks to UNICEF we see how the student body at UPRM gets together once again for a great cause! GO BULLDOGS!

Special Thanks to the team of UNICEF and staff:

José Virella –President

Neysha López- Vice-president

Jimena Pérez –Secretary 

Lizmar Rodriguez- Treasurer

Marilyn Pérez- Activity coordinator

Prof. Sandra Cruz-Pol – Counselor

Photos taken from UNICEF UPRM Facebook page and by Alexandra Rosario

My name is Alexandra Rosario grown and raise in Ponce, PR. At the age of 18 came the big time to move and go to college. Currently, I’m a student in the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez, major in Biology.  My goal, for the near future, is to graduate in 2015 and go on to study Medicine. But not everything in life is study, in my free time I focus in photography.