Track-By-Track Album Review: Shawn Mendes’ Illuminate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

On Friday, September 23, Shawn Mendes released his second album, Illuminate. The 18-year-old Canadian singer-songwriter first gathered people’s attention posting song covers in the popular app Vine, but gained monumental fame when his song “Stitches” hit the airwaves last summer.

In his sophomore album, Shawn attempts to prove his maturity, while still sticking to his signature guitar-and-vocals style. Here’s a track-by-track review of the album.

1. “Ruin”

Best lyric: And I’m not tryna ruin your happiness,

But darling don’t you know that I’m the only one for ya?

“Ruin” is a great song to begin the album with. It sets the tone for the album as a whole, and I could already predict that this was going to be an album full of soulful ballads and heartfelt lyrics. With a soulful bass, and a voice far beyond his years, Shawn sings about heartbreak as someone who has loved and lost.

2. “Mercy”

Best lyric: Please have mercy on me

Take it easy on my heart

Even though you don’t mean to hurt me

You keep tearing me apart

The music video is as intense as the song, where he literally begs not to have his heart broken. The lyrics remind me of “Grenade” by Bruno Mars a bit, because of the intensity.

3. “Treat You Better”

Best lyric: Tell me why are we wasting time

On all your wasting crying

When you should be with me instead

As the first song that released off the album, “Treat You Better”, especially the video, sheds light on the important topic of abusive relationships. Not many people talk about this topic, and the fact that Shawn chose to talk about it is great. It’s a more musically intense song, where rise on percussions parallel to the song.

4. “Three Empty Words”

Best lyric: Cause we can’t fix what’s broken

And I know it’s gonna hurt

But darling I’ll go first

After the intensity of treat you better, this song is a guitar led ballad with a tropical vibe and soothing voice. However, the musicality is a sharp contrast to the lyrics, which basically say, “I think we should break up”. Love the guitar and his soothing voice in this one though.

5. “Don’t Be A Fool”

Best lyric: And don’t be a fool, yeah

And say that you love me

Cause you’ll find a man

Who will stand by your side

And will be there for you

The album slows back down, and “Don’t Be A Fool” is all about not being able to give your all in a relationship. Essentially, the other guy can treat her better than he can (pun intended). Musically, it reminds me of Ed Sheeran’s “Thinking Out Loud.”

Note: Okay, I’m noticing a trend here. Heartbreak! The first five songs are pretty sad, and we’re not even halfway through. Bonus points for the soulful ballads with prominent guitars though!

*Seriously, this album should have an alert, don’t listen if you’re heartbroken!

6. “Like This”

Best lyric: And I’m trying to ignore ya

Trying to go on with my day, hey

But I still pick up the phone, yeah

And get lost in what you say

Finally a sweet love song! Things are looking up! “Like This” is about falling in love, and how it feels when you realize that you’re in love and there’s no turning back. This song’s one of the slowest, and it truly showcases his vocals.

7. “No Promises”

Best lyric: Oh no we don’t need to overcomplicate it

Cause I’ve been here once before don’t even say it

Loving the guitar in this song! It has a funky rhythm that makes you wanna dance! Guitar ridden, but with a funky rhythm that picks up in the chorus that makes you wanna dance. Lyrically, it’s about living in the moment and not over analyzing relationships. Musically, it’s my favorite so far! Bonus points for that falsetto near the end.

8. “Lights On”

Best lyric: And I’m not trying to come off too strong

But you know that I can’t help it

Cause girl you’re beautiful

Another funky guitar song! Shawn’s trying to woo a girl with all he’s got, and dare I say, it totally works!

9. “Honest”

Best lyric: Oh, I hate to hurt you but I got to be honest

I can’t give you what you need

More upbeat than the others, but the lyrics are basically about him dumping someone. It’s like every classic breakup excuse put in a blender. Points for the musicality though.

Note: Don’t use this song to break up with anyone! That’s insensitive!

10. “Patience”

Best lyric: Ooh, you give me a little taste

Lure me in then you take it from me

Oh, I hate that, I love it cause you’re driving me crazy

This one’s for everyone who has had to deal with an indecisive partner, but somehow can’t break up with them. The chorus is incredibly catchy.

*Point deduction for the creepy lyric:

Tell me that you’re willing then you say you won’t

Can you make your mind up, please, I’m losing my patience

11. “Bad Reputation”

Best lyric: And I don’t care what they say about you baby

They don’t know what you’ve been through

Slow ballad, about being in love with someone, and not caring about what people think about them. The bridge reminds me of “Give Me Love” by Ed Sheeran.

*Point deduction for creepy lyric:

And all of my friends’ve seen her naked

Or so the story goes

12. “Understand”

Best lyric: You’re gonna feel like that’s where you’re supposed to be

You’re not gonna feel out of place anymore

You’re gonna feel like that’s where you were meant to be

“Understand” is a guitar-ridden ballad with sprinkles of piano. Also, it faintly reminded me of “Thinking Out Loud.” Shawn mixes it up with the vocals, using inspiring words about embracing, growing up, and embracing change, all while staying true to who you are. Overall, it’s a great ending to the album.

*Bonus songs on Deluxe Version!

13. “Hold On”

Best lyric: I don’t know what

You’re going through

But there’s so much life

Ahead of you

His voice truly shines in this song! “Hold On” narrates a conversation between Shawn and his dad, in which his dad advises him to be persistent in life, no matter what he goes through.

14. “Roses”

Best lyric: I’m not tryna start a fire with this flame

But I’m worried that your heart might feel the same

Another heartbreak song! “Roses” reminds me of that scene in romantic comedies when the protagonist runs to their ex and reveals they still have feeling for them. I have a feeling that we’re going to be hearing this one in quite a few romantic movies.

15. “Mercy” (Acoustic Version)

An acoustic, piano ridden version of “Mercy”, where the focus is purely on the lyrics and the emotion really shines through.

Overall album review:

Ever heard the phrase, if you heard one, you’ve heard them all? This rings true with Illuminate. The album is pretty solid as a whole. Although, I would have definitely liked to hear more variations in-between songs, given that they were mostly all ballads about heartbreak. It’s great to listen in lazy afternoons, with its soothing guitar and shining vocals by Shawn, but if you don’t like it by the third song, you’re probably not going to like it as a whole. It reminds me of Ed Sheeran’s vibe, so if you’re into ballads, I’d recommend it.

Stars: 3/5

*Lyrics provided by:

http://www.azlyrics.com/s/shawnmendes.html

22 years old. Island Girl. Bilingual. Political Science. International Relations. Pop Culture Junkie. Music & Movies.
Jennifer Mojica Santana is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus (UPRM). She is currently pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in Literature, and minor studies in Project Management and Writing and Communications. Mojica Santana has written for UPRM's chapter of the online magazine Her Campus since March 2015. She served as the chapter's Senior Editor from January 2016 through May 2016. From June 2016 through October 2017, Mojica Santana was the chapter's co-Campus Correspondent and co-Editor-in-Chief. During the summer of 2917, she conducted research at Brown University. Currently, she is a visiting student at Brown University.