neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things I Wish I Could Tell My Teenage Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

As teenagers we have no idea of what’s going on, and sometimes we need some sort of direction. Sadly, some of us don’t have that and the only one we have is ourselves. If I had the opportunity to talk to my teenage-self, I’d tell her the following:

1. Stand up for what’s right

If you know that what’s going on is not the way to go, stand up and do something about it. Stop doing things just to fit in, those things don’t matter anyways. Always do you, speak your mind and never let anyone shut you up. Defend what’s right, don’t allow anything in your life other than positive things, you won’t regret it.

2. It is up to you

If you want change, go for it. Work for what you want and don’t give up, even when you feel like doing so. You may think you should get everything you want, and it may be true, but you can’t just sit and wait for someone to give it to you. It just won’t happen, so stand up and make it happen.

3. Take your time

Don’t rush it. Don’t skip stages, don’t act like you know it all, you don’t, but guess what? That’s okay. Take your time to learn things, to get to know yourself and don’t rush things that just aren’t supposed to happen in that moment.. They will eventually come around, and you’ll have plenty of time.

4. Your mom is right

Even if you refuse to accept it, your mom has many more years of experience than you, so when she says that the boy you’re dating is a douchebag she’s probably right. No one ever said that you’ll learn por experiencia ajena, but at least take into consideration every piece of advice she gives you. And always remember, she won’t be around forever.

5. You are beautiful

You have cried in front of that mirror, you have tried to change your style and you’ve compared yourself with everyone else too many times. That’s enough. Learn to accept yourself, you are beautiful in every way possible. Stop trying to change how you look, for you will never look better than how you already do.

6. You are smart

Yes honey, you are so smart! A bad grade doesn’t define your intelligence, so keep going, you’ll do better next time. ou have a mind of your own; you can come up with great ideas, so don’t follow someone else’s if you think yours is better. Trust what you know,et always keep an open mind so you learn and understand new things, you won’t regret it.

7. Save your money

Maybe saving money doesn’t seem like the way to go at the moment, but trust me. Saving money will actually save your life in the future, so don’t waste it. Buy what you need to buy, yet always put some money aside. It will be worth it.

8. You will get over it

He broke your heart? Got a bad grade? You’ll get over it, believe me. You will get a better grade and you’ll find someone better, that’s for sure. Don’t worry, if you want to cry, cry all you want, yet always keep in mind that you can’t cry forever, for you’ll get over it sooner or later.

9. It gets better

Things are changing. It may seem like the end of the world, but it really does get better. Don’t let yourself be too disappointed at everything, learn to see the positive side of things even if it’s hard, because in the end everything eventually works out and you won’t regret  some things didn’t happen like you planned.  

10. Thank You

Thank You, for being there for me when no one else was. Thank You for doing everything you’re doing right now, for it has helped with who I am today. Thank You for fighting for us, so we can have what we want. Thank You for hanging on, and just being everything I ever needed.

I promise I won’t let you down, and I will keep fighting until we achieve what we want. I love you.

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.