The Post-Valentine’s Day Season is Here! What do I do now?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

For some people, Valentine’s Day isn’t a big deal—just an ordinary day painted with hearts, chocolates, teddy bears, flowers, and a waste of money. There are even people who hate it and prefer it to pass as quickly as possible; nor do they like to receive gifts, flowers, love-letters, or anything that seems to be cheesy and affective. Their favorite part of the day is its ending. As soon as February 14 comes to an end, the stores change their decorations and everything and everyone goes back to normal. The shortest and fastest season that exists. 

At the same time, others think that Valentine’s Day was the opportunity they’ve been waiting for. It’s when most people express their feelings towards their loved ones in a distinctive way, like making them feel special with a big gesture or by giving them a gift. Something as simple as taking time to be with that special person or friends. Either way, it’s okay–it all depends on your perspective.

With this said, Valentine’s Day is one of the most famous days to demonstrate your appreciation and admiration to your loved ones. But, what happened when this day went by and you didn’t have the chance to express your feelings? Who said we should wait for a specific day to celebrate and honor our loved ones? 

So here and now, I’m honored to present the “Post-Valentine’s Day Season”! A season that doesn’t depend on a specific date. Where its slogan would be: “Whoever wants, can”. Which for me, means that if someone really wants to spend time with you, they would do anything in their power to make it happen. And don’t get me wrong, but even if it’s only five minutes, it counts. Whoever wants to make you feel special would do anything they could just to make you feel unique.

Here are some ideas for you to make a non-special day special:

Picnic

A combination of your favorite snacks in your place of preference; this could be on the beach, countryside, car trunk, treetop, square or anywhere where you feel calm and comfortable. You would only need a box, basket, bag or something to carry the snacks and, maybe, a few drinks. Also, paint, a canvas, a camera, or some card game can be a plus. Don’t forget the blanket! And, of course, your company to spend the day.

Crafts

Get creative! Use stuff that you already have. Doesn’t have to be something complicated; it can be as simple as a sticky note or a piece of paper. Now, if you want to be extra, add glitter, stickers, construction paper, decorations, and everything else that inspires you. Everything counts! Let your imagination fly!

Mood changer

This is an idea for the “blue” days. These are the ones where we want to stay home, rest, enjoy a hobby, or do absolutely nothing. Sometimes the blue days are caused because it didn’t go as expected or you, simply, aren’t in a good mood. Maybe, a good mood changer could be a surprise with some activity that the person likes to do in their free time. The idea is to get out of their daily routine or bring some sort of happiness that cheers them up. However, not everybody likes surprises. In that case, the person should know your plan beforehand. If he agrees, go ahead. If not, then ask what they want to do and make adjustments. The intention will be to bright-up their day.

Food

If you are the type of person who loves food and discovering new food places, this should be what you have been looking for. You can either go out to your favorite restaurant or prepare dinner without the necessity of leaving home. If you choose to prepare dinner, you can get creative and prepare your own menu. It’s fun if everyone helps with the cooking. Trust me!

Games

Are you and your friends competitive? Maybe board games are what you need. And if you are not into board games, video games or sports are always a go-to. There are different kinds of games, so pick a few and have fun competing with each other. Show off who rules the game!

It’s never too late to celebrate and demonstrate your appreciation to your special someone. It isn’t necessary to celebrate something on a special date for it to be special. I assure you, it’s going to be unique if it’s done from the heart. The little things and details are what make your friendship and partner special. It’s a way of thanking them for all the good and not-so-good moments that you have shared together. 

Laura S Pierantoni Marrero is Sub-Secretary and writer for her campus. She likes to share some of her experiences as a tool for readers. Her most frequent topics are Sex + Relationships, Academics, Entertainment and Her 20's. Currently, she is pursuing a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in Project Management. She has participated within UPRM Aero Design as part of the Project Management department and as the Project Manager of the team. She was also a mentor at the Pharmaceutical Engineering Summer Camp (PESCa 2023) that takes place at the campus. She is a certified mosaic artisan from Puerto Rico and during her free time she likes to write stories, poems and short novels. https://www.linkedin.com/in/laura-pierantoni-23974830/