sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

“Super Soltero”: A Different Way to Celebrate the Week of Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

It’s the week of love and friendship, and while some celebrate the occasion with typical love songs, Puerto Rican indie rap artists FOKINFROID and José Yellow have decided to do so by releasing a trap track celebrating the single life with their new tune, Super Soltero. The latest collaboration between both artists features them telling stories from the same point of view where, instead of crying or feeling lonely for not having a partner on Valentine’s Day, they rejoice in the perks of being solo on said day.

(art for the single as found on FOKINFROID’s Soundcloud)

Short and to the point, “Super Soltero” starts off with FOKINFROID singing the chorus where he and José Yellow rejoice on the fact that their relationships with cheating girlfriends were broken because they were unhappy. The song expands on this story, but from each of the rappers’ different perspectives. FOKINFROID praises the fact that he can do whatever he desires now that he’s single. Meanwhile, José Yellow starts off on the same path, but he finishes his verse by stating how now he has an even better relationship with another girl.

(picture of FOKINFROID performing as found on his Facebook page)

Super Soltero” is a short and determined song. The under three-minute time-span is a reflection of many aspects of the track. One of these is the short time FOKINFROID and José Yellow had in their respective relationships. The beat further enhances this. There is a certain loop playing throughout the tune which makes it reminiscent of children’s music, giving the idea that the relationships the rappers had with their partners felt like childhood romances, which usually tend to last little-to-nothing. All of this helps give the short time-span of the song an even deeper meaning. Another point that could be made is that the track is short because of the love celebrated on Valentine’s Day. It could be interpreted as a satire on how people decide to celebrate love on this specific day when, instead, it should be done every day. However, these are just some ideas.

(picture of José Yellow as found on his Facebook page)

FOKINFROID and José Yellow’s “Super Soltero” is a different take on how to celebrate the week of love and friendship. They rejoice in being single rather than being on terrible relationships where they were unhappy. While the trap tune is rather short, it is indicative of many messages the rappers might have wanted the listener to capture, among these the time-span of the relationships the artists rap about.

Listen to Super Soltero on Soundcloud here

Listen to FOKINFROID on Soundcloud and Spotify

Listen to José Yellow on Soundcloud and Spotify

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.