Successful Opening for Presencias’ Second Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

The guitar prodigy Dr. José Antonio López, accompanied by the Symphonic Orchestra of the Music Conservatory of Puerto Rico- under the direction of Roselín Pabón, performed the opening concert for the second season of Presencias. It’s a  recent project that brings diverse cultural activities to the community, sponsored by the University of Puerto Rico -Mayagüez. The event inaugurated  the spring season of the acclaimed cultural initiative. Yesterday, February 22, the UPRM community  packed the Teatro Yagüez to its full-capacity evidencing that the initiative was received with great enthusiasm.    

Since early hours in the afternoon, hundreds of people were gathering outside the theater to assure a seat at this historic, free of charge concert. Unfortunately, due to lack of capacity at the theater, more than fifty people could not make it inside. The show had to go on, and so it went. Dr. José Antonio López, along with an orchestra composed of young musicians, and under the direction of Roselín Pabón- delighted the entire expectant crowd with classical pieces, enhanced by the majestic sound of López guitar chords. The repertory consisted of: “Allegro Maestoso, Concierto Opus 30 de Mauro Giuliani”,  “Adagio, Concierto de Aranjuez de Joaquín Rodrigo”, and “Seis Milonga, Concierto Antillano de Ernesto Cordero.” By petition of the Musical Director, Roselín Pabón, “Concierto de Aranjuez” was played twice, since it is a very popular piece that “few times encounters such a perfect harmony, and deserves to be heard again.”

Maricarmen Vélez, 22, a cellist from the Music Conservatory of Puerto Rico, thought about the experience of being part of this event, created to promote the arts in the UPRM, and said: “It was a very gratifying experience. The fact that the theater was full to its capacity was so exciting. This is a great initiative that should be expanded to the other UPR campuses in Puerto Rico.”

At the end of the concert, Dr. López, Presencias organizer, was at the theaters’ exit greeting and thanking the audience for their support.

With the massive success of concert, Presencias kicks off its second season with the right foot, promising many more events filled with learning, culture and enjoyment. To stay on top of upcoming events you may visit  Presencias’ webpage.

Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.
Her Campus at UPRM