“The Specimen Jewel Vol. 1”: Fantasmes Provide Relaxing and Dreamy Psychedelia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

As one delves deeper into Puerto Rico’s independent music scene, one will find that a commonly explored aesthetic is psychedelia, especially in the realms of rock and lo-fi hip hop. From Doktor Zaius, with their fusion of funk, prog-rock, and spoken word, to younger musicians like rapper Reyes †††. Last April, San Juan-based musical ensemble Fantasmes continued to explore this field with their recent project The Specimen Jewel Vol​.​1, a relaxing and transformative project that will have listeners feeling introspective.

(cover art for the project)

Starting The Specimen Jewel Vol. 1 is the dream pop track “Demonology,” a soothing tune that eventually finds its way to an electric guitar that teleports listeners to another dimension. Then come “In It For Laughs” and “The Gallery Transparent,” two relaxing songs reminiscent of The Beatles’ psychedelic era and Pink Floyd’s Animals. However, at the start of the project’s second half, there is a slight shift that might catch a few by surprise.

(picture of the group as found on their Facebook)

What starts the second half of The Specimen Jewel Vol. 1 is “Skink,” a noise and space-rock influenced psychedelic track that features a bit more adrenaline than anything else in the project. In addition, the tune feels like one is traveling in space or through some other plane of existence. However, we are then treated to “A Cyclical Time,” another relaxing entry in the project that makes one feel like they are flying over the clouds or across time inside some sort of chamber or machine. Finally, the short project ends with “There’s No Telling,” one of the few songs to have high use of percussion fused with beautiful guitar work and interdimensional vocals. In sum, the track serves as a perfect closer to a very relaxing experience.

Fantasmes’ The Specimen Jewel Vol. 1 is one of the most relaxing and soothing listens in a while. Featuring psychedelia as its main piece, the group manage to deliver one of the most dreamy projects this year. In short, if you are looking to exit this world for a few minutes, make sure to listen to this short yet smooth presentation.

Listen to The Specimen Jewel Vol​.​1 on Spotify and Bandcamp

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.