“The Sauz”: New Wave Gang’s A1 Keeps a Connection with His Caribbean Roots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

As Puerto Rico’s migration to the diaspora continues to be an active part of the island’s story, artists all over are trying to keep a bond with their homeland. One of  the many musicians to do so is Los Angeles-based rapper A1 from the Carolina-based rap group New Wave Gang. Through the use of hip hop and reggaeton, A1 manages to keep a connection to his Carolina rap roots while paying homage to his Caribbean homeland in his latest EP, “The Sauz.”

(cover art for the EP)

Heavily produced by Aaron P, the EP starts with “The Race II,” a reggaeton influenced boom bap rap track that puts A1 lyrical prowess on full display. Afterwards, listeners are treated to “Coral,” a sex fueled danceable reggaeton tune that will make everybody shake their bodies. Then A1 continues to pay tribute to his Caribbean roots with the reggae influenced lyrical rap tune, “Como Si Na,” which perfectly blends energetic and relaxing vibes with a bit of Spanglish. The first half of the EP finishes with “Dime,” an electronica influenced R&B track where A1 invites a love interest to have fun.

(cover art for the single “Coral”)

The second half of “The Sauz” starts with “Reckless,” another display of A1’s lyrical abilities accompanied by the vocal talents of AC Metta as they let people know that they are not to be tested because they have little patience. Afterwards, we are treated to a much lighter track in “87,” a dancehall tune that, like “Coral,” will have listeners moving their feet. In closing, “The Sauz” ends with “Gone,” an apology letter from A1 to a variety of people but perhaps directed to those he feels he has failed in one way or another, maybe the people he had to leave behind when he traveled to Los Angeles and his listeners who hadn’t seen him active in a while before the release of this EP.

(picture of the artist as found on his Soundcloud)

After listening to “The Sauz,” one can conclude that A1 is a diverse artist who isn’t afraid to explore all the fields related to hip hop, be it reggaeton, R&B, dancehall or even reggae. One could also infer that while he does live in Los Angeles, his connection to Puerto Rico has never left and even though many, especially in the mainstream, won’t agree with the use of Spanglish he will do so to keep said connection. In sum, A1’s “The Sauz” definitely shows a musician willing to experiment with a variety of sounds while holding his homeland deep in his heart.

Listen to “The Sauz” on Soundcloud

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.