brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Sassy Spanish Style: Nicole Montañez’s Effortless Edge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Nicole Montañez is the face behind flash.mod, her follow-worthy Instagram fashion blog full of style tips and inspiration for fashionistas who aren’t afraid to be bold. A native of Hatillo, Nicole is currently spending the semester abroad at the University of Salamanca, so expect her colorful feed to give you a serious case of wanderlust–and an itch for some retail therapy!

Nicole is currently an exchange student at the University of Salamanca in Spain.

Describe flash.mod:

Flash.mod is an Instagram blog that features my take on affordable fast fashion.  

Your style is always on point. Where do you get inspiration from? Have you always been fashion-driven?

I would have to say that most of my fashion inspiration comes from Instagram and YouTube. I follow and subscribe to people whose styles I love and take notes from them. But before social media, I think magazines where my north. Fashion has always been something I’m kind of good at. My friends ask me how it’s even possible for me to make an entire outfit just by looking at one item of clothing. For that I can honestly say I don’t know where it comes from, but I know it’s a great trick at parties!

Describe your style in three words:

Affordable. Edgy. Versatile.

Nicole is passionate about putting together affordable outfits–this look was created with items from Forever 21, Old Navy and K-Mart!

What inspired you to create your blog?

I’ve always loved fashion; it’s been a way for me to express myself and my mood throughout the years. I’d always make my mom buy me those cheesy teen magazine just so I could see trends of the moment. Then Instagram came along and made the fashion world seem not that far away–like I could be part of it just by seeing it firsthand on my newsfeed. It took a while, six years to be exact, for me to get the courage to create my own blog since I’m a very anxious and insecure person, but I’m really glad I took the step out of my comfort zone and went for it.

What are your favorite brands and current trends?

As for brands, I’ve always loved Forever 21 since it’s so trendy and affordable. However, H&M, Zara and Primark have been my favorite places to shop here in Spain. They are way cheaper here than they are in Puerto Rico, so every time I go to them I feel like a kid in a candy store. Now, for trends I’m currently loving, I would have to go flat-forms, mesh tops and pastel/nude colors.

Your blog is self-described as “plus-size fashion.” How do you feel about the term plus-size?

I don’t exactly like labels, but I do think it’s important and necessary to recognize the diversity of bodies out there in order to expand the margins of what’s considered “normal” and to accept all body types as beautiful. Hopefully, one day I can go from “plus-size fashion blogger” to just “fashion blogger.”

What is most important to you when it comes to putting together an outfit?

Well for me it’s two things: the mood and the comfort. Some days I feel like flower dresses, rainbows and sunshine, and others I just feel like wearing all black to channel my inner Morticia Addams. The mood sets most of the outfit, but comfort is key too. I know it may sound cliché to say, but putting on what’s comfortable for you will make you feel more confident so you’re the one wearing the outfit, not the outfit wearing you.

You include prices in some of your posts, and most of the pieces you feature are very affordable! Is that important to you, and is price a determining factor when you shop?

Yes and yes, price is everything! I’ve never been one to drop big money in just one item of clothing of an expensive brand since I don’t see it as necessary. You can have great style without having to leave your bank account crying, you just have to know where and how to look. That being said, I have bought things that are a little out of budget after falling in love with them, because feeling beautiful and confident in a particular item is priceless.    

What are some of the blogs and bloggers you follow?

The top two that come into mind are @love_jomy and @learningtobefearless. The first one, Jomy, is a Puerto Rican blogger I stumbled upon on Instagram. Her makeup and style always slay me in so many levels it’s crazy.

The second one, Alexandra, is a beautiful “plus-size” blogger and YouTuber from the US; she was one of my biggest inspirations to start a blog of my own. It’s good to find people that inspire you: learning from them can make your own style grow and become your own.

A red-hot look at Barcelona’s Park Güell.

As a fellow curvy girl, I know that shopping for our figure is often difficult. What styling tips do you have for women to accentuate their figures?

That’s difficult to answer since every body type is obviously different. But I would say that it’s always good to identify the key features that you like about yourself and accentuate them. For instance, if you like your legs then you could wear maxis skirts that have a slit on the side so your legs seem to go for miles. Wear whatever works for you and makes you feel confident!

Is there a universal styling rule you abide by that you can share with us?

Be bold enough to try new trends when you like them, but know it’s okay if not all trends are for you.

Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.