Saca ‘La Cría’ por nuestros CAAMpeones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

On Monday, November 9, our Juanas and Tarzanes played the LAI (Liga Atlética Interuniversitaria) volleyball quarterfinals at a full-house Mangual. Las Juanas played against Las Vaqueras from UPRB, winning the game on three consecutive sets. After their  solid victory, current LAI CAAMpeones los Tarzanes, stepped into the court to defend their gold against our old-time rival, La Inter.

Los Tarzanes kicked up the game on  the right foot as they won their first set comfortably, unleashing the magic madness that characterizes the Colegial crowd. The loyalty of the fans is remarkable, as they packed the Mangual colisseum  despite the looming hell week. On the second set, Los Tigres took advantage, while Tarzanes recovered on the third. During the whole fourth set, the audience stood on its feet in support of its CAAMpeones. Finally, Los Tigres claimed victory, leaving everybody with a bittersweet taste and the desire for revenge.

However last Wednesday night, Los Tarzanes got their revenge against  La Inter at the Tiger’s court, accompanied by the green and white crew that never lost faith in its team. At an intense five-set battle, the CAAMpeones claimed victory, and will return to the Mangual tomorrow to play the game that will determine their future in the season. 

“First, we want to thank Colegiales for their unconditional support, despite the last game’s results. ¡Hoy sacamos cría colegial!  We were able to manage our missteps and end up victorious. We owe the fans an apology for Monday’s loss, so we are going to make it up to them tomorrow. This is not over yet!” punctualized Orlando Delgado, the vollebyabll team’s captain, in an exclusive for Her Campus UPRM.

Tomorrow the journey to the semifinals starts at 6:30PM with the last round of Las Juanas vs Las Vaqueras. Then at 8:30PM, Los Tarzanes will give their all in a decisive game that will determine their pass to the semifinals.¡Ponte tu camiseta verde y saca la cría que mañana se gana en el Mangual! 

Photo credits: Huella Deportiva 

Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.