Regrets From a Second Semester Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

I must confess, I felt relieved not having to rush out of class to do matrícula today. Those ol’ torture days are over, but along the brief satisfaction of mocking prepas going through this tormentous process, it just became evident  that college is almost over. People will  tell you that these years  will pass by quickly, but you have no idea that it would happen in the blink of an eye. Just when you are getting the hang of it is time to go, and while my time at Colegio has been enriching and life-changing, there are a few things I wish I would have done differently.

When it comes to academics, I wish I:

1. Had been more diligent with theeasyclasses: Advice from an old dog: the classes you believe require less effort, are usually the ones that end up swallowing you. Never underestimate a class, or asure you will do just fine because it is an easy professor or a subject you feel confident with. Often times, by trying to swing it I ended up striking out. The difference between an A and a B might be that bonus paper or simply attendance, but the difference that grade can make in your overall GPA could be striking. It is worth the hard work, I promise.

2. Used electives wisely: Again, I fell in the trap of “electives should be easy A’s,’, so I restrained myself from taking many interesting classes just for the fear of having to work too hard. Not that I am encouraging you to take quantum physics as an elective along with four other concentration classes, just use your electives wisely, scatter them, save some for the end, and do your research before you choose randomly. Use this opportunity to go beyond your comfort zone, learn new disciplines and enrich yourself.

3. Hadn’t taken summer classes: Yeah, they seem like a good idea and they make you sound all good and grown up among your friends and family, but believe me, they are a very, very, very bad idea. The summer was made to rest. You have been working unstoppably for ten long months, and you need to take a break. I took summer classes three out of my five years, and now I realized I would have done just fine without them. Because of exhaustion, your performance won’t be in top shape. Honestly, unless it is a life or death  matter (your graduation depending on it) the sacrifice isn’t usually worth it.

4. I wish I had studied abroad: This is a frustration shared by almost everyone who didn’t study abroad, and backed up by everyone who did. It is an investment. The experience of traveling and having fun while you study is something you will never get back. So, save some money from pizza and Thursday nights and find a buddy who will be willing to live this adventure with you.

5. Less allnighters, more sleep: For the Lord’s sake, it is not until you see yourself in a mirror and feel twenty years older than what you got here that you will regret this, but trust me, sleep is priceless and all-nighters are not worth it. Plan ahead, I know it is boring and mainstream but  it will save you some money and tears over the dark circles under your eyes.

6. I had gotten more involved in the community: Often times, I missed on actively participating on activities or associations because I thought it would be wasted time from the books, WRONG. Your learning experience at college goes beyond the classroom, it is enriched by opportunities to serve, grow, and be a part of something. So don’t be afraid to invest in what you love; in the end, it will deliver.

7. Not working at my pace: The pressure to graduate on the stipulated amount of time is real, and it gets to your head. If you stay longer than four years they make you feel like some sort of Peter Pan, and you are not. Don’t let paper guidance dictate your experience. If you feel like you need more time, take it, because in the end of the day, adulthood will be there for you, whether it is on your fourth, fifth or sixth year, and trust me, it won’t be pretty.

When it comes to life experiences, I wish:

1. I had moved out and had a roommate since my freshman year: One of the benefits  of living relatively close to campus is that you can stay at home. While it has plenty of perks, such as clean laundry and hot food, among the psychological support and the safe arms of your mama, you are missing on some essential life skills. Take it from someone who didn’t had a roommate until last year, and who is moving out across the sea to study at the scariest city on earth. I would be less terrified if I had experienced the separation before at a lower scale. Having to take full charge of your stuff is an essential step on becoming an adult, and the beginning of learning how to manage time and resources, which will be vital for your academic career. Also, the challenge of living with someone who is not you family, but with whom you share similar burdens and preoccupations will help you mature, gift you with patience, and gift you with some of the most rewarding, live-lasting memories and laughs you will ever have! (I FREAKING love you so much Leo! Thank you for standing this overactive hoarder and her cat)

2. I had gone out more: Yes, you are reading just fine, no janguie lo suficiente. I was the kind of person that was always too careful, and while I have no major incidents to regret due to my over healthy sense of responsibility, now I realize I missed on a lot. I believed adults when they told me that I would  get shot at Las Calles or roofied at a frat party, or arrested for drunk papelones and so on. The truth of the matter is, our parents try to protect us as much as they can, and that is fine. But we need to experience life on our own, and life, well, it is risky and dangerous, but also worth a try. The key is choosing wisely when-where-with whom. As long as your social life doesn’t get in the way of your academic performance, your friends or company are responsible adults who won’t get you in trouble and will have your back, and you choose to be in accessible, legal, safe places, there is absolutely nothing wrong with harmless fun. Now I realize that in Grad school, arriving late at a classroom due to hangover is unacceptable and that for some reason adult bars are expensive and creepy. I deeply regret following the rules so tightly, not dancing with enough hot strangers. So kids, don’t waste your chance to do some papelones while it is still cool.

3. I had dated more: Bummer, the adulthood love scene sucks. Everyone is too busy, too important and too wrecked. Online dating is actually one of the less-terrifying options you will encounter. Rumor has it that grown-ups go to very expensive resturants, split the check and talk about salarial range and reproductive aspirations. I recognize I was way too picky; I wouldn’t agree to go out with I guy if I thought I didn’t liked him for the real deal, funny fact being, I never aspired to a relationship at all. I missed on many chances of awkward stories, of  people who would have turned out good friends, of simply crossing my prejudice by liking someone who was completely different to what I was looking for. Also, I regret all the free drinks  I turned down. To all those of you who are afraid to get out there, don’t be. Just because you agree on a date doesn’t mean you owe them anything, other than the chance to have a good time. So, as someone who steps out into the Sex and the City without enough experience on dating talks or hardly any cool disastrous stories to make, and without any real relationship experience to back up my bullsh**, I advise to you, this is the time to go wrong about love.

4. I had learned to pick my battles: Time is about the only thing you won’t ever get back. How much of it I wasted on people who I knew weren’t going to stay! Sometimes, it is not worth it, it is ok to let go, whether it is a friend, a significant other, or even an aspiration that you know you can’t accomplish. Deep down we know we are just too stubborn; we stick around thinking that we will feel better if we do everything in our hands to make it happen. The truth of the matter is, in the end you will feel like crap for being so naive, for holding on to what you knew was doomed. Let go, grow up, be thankful for the good and don’t hold grudges. Elsa was so wise, you have no idea!

5. I hadn’t been afraid of change: So yeah, like everyone I know, I have changed. For a long time, that made me feel terrified. People would call me out on why I acted differently, spoke differently, thought or behaved ‘unlike me.’ I even changed majors, and absolutely don’t regret it.  Well, as it turns out, part of the college experience is finding out who you are, by yourself. And this requires you messing up over and over, as well as finding yourself disagreeing with your previous visions on life. To grow is to unlearn, to adapt, to evolve, and that is something that nobody should feel ashamed of. If someone loves you, they will love you for you, and that includes the parts they don’t like or they don’t approve. You don’t need anybody’s approval; if that is all you seek you will never be happy. So don’t be afraid to change, but mostly, don’t be afraid to show it and feel darn proud that, despite all odds, you have made it where you are. Photo credits: Giphy.com, William McCormick

Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.