Queer Movies You Probably Didn’t Know Were Based on Books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

About two weeks ago, while binge-watching queer films, I realized that some of them are based on books. Normally, these books were of the same name; others were not, but they were based on books nonetheless. For this reason, I decided to compile a short list of my favorite queer films based on books, (even though I haven’t actually gotten around to read the vast majority of the books yet). Maybe you’ve seen these films and never realized they were based on a book. Well, if you didn’t know there was a book behind the screenplay then you now know and can look them up. Representation among queer people is extremely important in order for one to feel comfortable and identified on the big screen or on paper. So, without further ado, here’s my short list of queer movies you probably didn’t know they were based on books!

1. Call Me by Your Name, (2017)

Based on a book written by André Aciman of the same name and with 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, this Romance/Drama film quickly caught the hearts of viewers all across the globe. Call Me by Your Name follows a forbidden summer fling between a teenager and his dad’s research assistant for the summer, in 1980’s Italy. With a magnificent screenplay and a beautiful soundtrack that features songs by Sufjan Stevens, this movie quickly caught both my eyes and ears. It wasn’t until I actually saw it that it captivated me and left me both enamored and brokenhearted. Teen Elio falls hard for an older, handsome man, (some of us can relate), and in the midst of summer the two embark in a forbidden romance with highs and eventual lows that lead to heartbreak and tears in front of a fireplace.

2. Disobedience, (2018)

Disobedience, based on a book of the same name by Naomi Alderman, tackles faith and love in a close orthodox Jewish community. Following the death of her father, New York photographer Ronit Krushka returns to her childhood home in London and visits the Jewish community that once rejected her. Upon arrival, she finds that both of her oldest friends, Dovid and Esti, have married each other. Ronit’s attraction to Esti, during their teenage years, was the reason her orthodox community turned their backs on her. Once these two women catch up, old flames ignite and they engage in a forbidden affair that threatens both Esti’s marriage and beliefs. It was undeniable that actresses Rachel McAdams and Rachel Weisz shared a great amount of chemistry throughout filming. McAdams even states that her sex scene with Weisz had been better than with any other male actor. I mean, I don’t know about you, but if Rachel Weisz spat in my mouth I would be whipped, too.

3. Carol, (2015)

How to get the girl’s attention: Step 1: “forget” your gloves on the counter when she rings you up at the register; Step 2: wait and hope that she somehow returns them. Maybe it won’t work and she’ll place the gloves in a “Lost & Found” box, or maybe it WILL work… at least like it did with Carol. This film is based in 1950’s New York, where cashier and aspiring photographer, Therese Belivet, develops an infatuation with Carol Aird, an older woman, and they embark on an affair that threatens the very core of Carol’s relationship with her daughter. Carol, like all other movies listed here, is based on a book written by Patricia Highsmith called The Price of Salt. Carol’s portrayal of a sapphic relationship is both endearing and realistic as Carol’s ex-husband threatens to keep her daughter away from her due to her sexual preferences. In the end, all is well, or at least well as well can get in circumstances like these. This film adaptation has a remarkable screenplay and outstanding instrumental soundtrack by Carter Burwell, making it one of my favorite movies by far.    

4. Love, Simon, (2018)

Love, Simon is the life story of any closeted teenager who fears the consequences of coming out. The movie follows a teenager with a secret, and when someone puts said secret in danger of exposure he must do whatever they want, even if that means lying to his closest friends. What everyone loved about this movie was how every queer teenager/young adult could relate to Simon’s character in some way. This movie is based on Becky Albertalli’s 2015 book, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. The movie’s coming out scene was wholesome, and treated carefully and understandingly. Through the challenges he faced in order to keep his online and sexual identity a secret, and eventually gaining acceptance from his family and friends, Simon came out with a wonderful love story ending most queer teens wish they had.

5. The Danish Girl, (2015)

The Danish Girl, based on true events, tells, in some way, the story of one of the first transgender woman to undergo sex reassignment surgery. This screenplay is also based on David Ebershoff’s novel of the same name. Ebershoff clarifies that the novel “does not try to tell a true story;” this is due to the fact that he created the vast majority of the characters and some events in Lili Elbe’s book life. The film centers on the life of painters Einar Wegener, (who soon becomes Lili Elbe), and Gerda Wegener as they tackle Lili’s transition and the events that unfold. The Danish Girl is both beautiful and tragic because it shows a woman coming in tune with her true nature and getting bashed and humiliated for wanting to be herself.

Bonus:

• Tell it to the Bees, (some time 2019)

This film adaptation, based on a book by Fiona Shaw of the same name, has yet to be released in the USA, although very few lucky people saw the premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival that took place on September 9th, 2018. Having already read the book and seen the trailer for the movie, it’s safe to say that this film adaptation will quickly become a favorite amongst the lesbian community. Actresses Holliday Grainger and Anna Paquin are the center of this film, (though the book is seen in Charlie’s perspective), and are seen sharing a great amount of chemistry in the movie’s trailer. Paquin’s character, Dr. Jean Markham, develops a unique friendship with a young patient (Charlie Weekes) and soon develops a relationship with his mother. The unique book’s title, Tell it to the Bees, comes from Dr. Markham telling Charlie that talking to the bees, she takes care of in her house, keeps them from flying away and that he should tell them his secrets and happenings. Cute, right?

If you have not seen these films I highly recommend you do so. And while you’re at it, try the books, too; I certainly will.

English Lit major at UPRM
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.