Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene: Valerie Chique Rodríguez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives, and scenes have found a way to pave their path. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, many artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez, book stores like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla, Libros AC in Santurce and Libros 787 online, and independent festivals like Feria de Libros Independientes y Alternativos and Tintero: Festival de Cómics y Arte Independiente de Puerto Rico have provided up-and-coming artists a space to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” is a series of  interviews that provides a glimpse at some of the women who have recently gained recognition in the art scene. Though the artists are asked similar questions, some are asked queries surrounding their work, specifically.

What’s your name and what do you do in the arts?

My name is Valerie Chique Rodríguez and I specialize in fluid/pouring arts (acrylics), and impasto paintings (oils). I’m the girl behind C H I Q U E 𝕒𝕣𝕥.

What got you into the visual arts?

About three years ago, I was fighting against depression. It was very difficult for me to face my fears and worries, especially in this era of social media where everything is public.

Trying to get out of that darkness, I started thinking about the passions and dreams that I had left behind over the years. One of those dreams was to paint. I started painting using acrylics, painting several portraits of dogs and landscapes. Then I discovered oil painting and fell in love with its flexibility. Since I was very young, I loved creating stuff with my own hands. It gives me great satisfaction to be able to create sensations for others when they see my pieces.

How did you develop your style?

I still don’t consider that I have a default style of painting. I paint what I feel in the moment, the colors that come to mind are created by memories of landscapes or objects. In fluid art (acrylics), I focus on bold colors that call the attention and vision of the viewer. I like to use a lot of paint and let myself be carried away by the movements on the canvas to create images that, in the end, will be perceived in different ways by the people. While with the impasto technique (oil), I prefer to make portraits either of animals or abstract landscapes, using exaggerated colors and shapes. I still have a lot to learn, and I think any artist would tell you the same thing. Art is a constant learning process where styles change over the years.

How has it evolved through the years?

It has changed a lot. Now, I have a better idea of who I am as a person and artist. Now, I focus more on the texture and the abstract, whereas before I focused on the perfection.

What are some of your influences and inspirations?

I am inspired by colors in their simplest nature. Also animals, especially dogs, and landscapes. I admire Callen Schaub’s works of fluid art and the textures and oil portraits of Elena Gual, and of course Van Gogh.

Is there any other form of art you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

I would like to learn the art of pottery at some point in my life. I feel that pottery would give me feelings of tranquility and creativity, which is all I look for when I create art. Also, culinary arts, which I’m going to pursue this summer. Basically, everything I can create with my hands.

What do you think about the current state of the arts in Puerto Rico?

Puerto Rico has too much talent, but much of that talent is dying because the government doesn’t provide enough aid, which would facilitate the movement of artistic projects on the island.

What do you think about the current state of the independent scene in Puerto Rico?

The independent art scene in Puerto Rico, I daresay, is one of the best in the Caribbean. Our culture and Caribbean life is reflected in every independent art of the archipelago, one full of messages and sensations. But it is one that, as I mentioned before, can be in danger because of our own politicians.

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

I would tell her to not be afraid of failure. Failing is how you find your own style, it helps you learn patience and create self-determination. I would tell her not to seek approval from others, but from herself. Art is subjective; some will like it while others will hate it, but, in the end, you will be achieving the main purpose—creating emotions.

What is your biggest goal right now?

My main goal at this moment is to be able to grow and know myself more as an artist. That way I can reach more people and transmit my true essence with my pieces.

What do you seek to achieve with work?

I am seeking to inspire women who have gone through dark times like me. Women who have left their lives and passions behind because of the capitalist and patriarchal systems we live in. I want people to see in my art an opportunity to reflect and think if they feel happy where they are right now. We can achieve anything, we just need to accept that we are stronger than we think. And when that happens, just go out and work for it.

All of the pictures in this article were provided by Valerie Chique Rodríguez

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.