Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene: Sarah Paulette Arana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives and scenes have found a way to pave their way. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, a variety of artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayagüez, and libraries like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla, have provided up-and-coming artists a space for them to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” are interviews which provide a glimpse at a few of the women who are making their way in said movement. Though the artists were asked similar questions, some were asked queries focused specifically on their work.

Sarah Paulette Arana is a young artist who in the past few years has slowly built her clothing brand Raitrú to become one of the most well-known in the independent scene in Puerto Rico. The following interview was conducted online.

(Sarah Paulette Arana)

What got you into fashion design, how did you develop your style, and how has it evolved through the years?

My great grandma used to sew. I’ve always been inclined to it. My style keeps evolving on a daily basis due to new experiences and surroundings. It’s a work in process that will continue.

I’ve seen your work is highly influenced by a mixture of surf, skate, and hipster subcultures. How did this happen?

Being in the west-side of the island, where everything is a little bit more relaxed, you get to see different styles and movements. I get inspired by almost everything that surrounds me and in the west-side surf, skaters, and hipsters are in abundance.

(Raitrú top)

What do you think about the current state of the arts in Puerto Rico?

We should encourage it more. There’s a lot of talent in this island, but not everyone wants to take the chance and see what happens. Kids need to know they are able to grow up and be artists. You are able to live from it, either full time or part time.

What do you think about the current state of the independent scene in Puerto Rico?

It’s sad, but slowly growing. People are finally realizing how corrupt the system really is.

(Shirts by the artist for her line Raitrú)

Is there any other form of art you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

Maybe photography or woodwork. They both seem calming.

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

Go do it! If you need help let me know. Don’t ever doubt yourself or what you can do. Failure will never overtake you if your determination to succeed is strong enough. I read this in a book and it will forever inspire me to keep on going.

(Raitrú top)

What do you seek to achieve with art?

For the time being, an emotion. It doesn’t really matter if it’s love or hate for the garment. If it moves you in any direction my purpose is fulfilled. In the long run, I’d like to transmit a positive message.

What is your biggest goal right now?

My biggest goal is expanding my brand to new places and new people.

Find Raitrú on Instagram and Facebook

All photos can be found in Raitrú’s Facebook

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.