Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It In The Independent Art Scene: Polosh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives, and scenes have found a way to pave their path. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, many artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez, and libraries like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla have provided up-and-coming artists a space to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” is a series of  interviews that provides a glimpse at some of the women who have recently gained recognition in the art scene. Though the artists are asked similar questions, some are asked queries surrounding their work, specifically.

Polosh is a rapper who has collaborated with Sofia Maldonado’s female-centric project Femtrap.

What got you into music?

At my kinder graduation I didn’t want to do the class dance. Instead, I asked my teacher to sing a song in front of the crowd. Since then I knew I liked to sing and be in front of the crowd. My mother was a dancer, I have been listening to music since I was in her belly. I also got into music because I wanted to express myself. So, I took guitar lessons, piano lessons and went to the NYU Music Technology High School Summer program.

How did you develop your style?

I’m from Carolina and Santurce, Puerto Rico and style is LIFE. I developed my style by practicing and daring to do different things in different ways.

How has it evolved through the years?

I started by rapping just for fun with my friends and now I’m looking forward to make an EP.

What are some of your influences and inspirations?

I enjoy jazz and chill music. I love practicing my rapping with Odesza, Grammatik and Tokismonsta because some songs are upbeat, others are slower and you can develop different styles. Storytelling and the way you play with words is an art, the way to get better every day is by practicing.

Is there any other form of art you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

I went to Film School. I enjoy visual arts. I wanna start painting. I feel it really relaxes me.

What do you think about the current state of the arts in Puerto Rico?

The art scene in Puerto Rico is growing as we speak. Santurce es Ley and Ponce es Ley are growing every year stronger. I was excited to debut at Femtrap by Sofia Maldonado where there was live art, performances, dance presentations and an open mic.

What do you think about the current state of the independent scene in Puerto Rico?

In Puerto Rico there are a lot of great independent projects. I believe this brings together a lot of ideas and producers, which is why a lot of events are lit. In 2019, I wanna go and enjoy more events mixed with art! Producers, if you’re reading this please come together (like The Beatles said), leave aside differences and make history together!

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

My advice for her it would be to always be herself. Don’t let anyone tell her what she can’t accomplish. Hard work pays off if you persevere.

What is your biggest goal right now?

My biggest goal right now is to finish my EP.

What do you seek to achieve with work?

I want people to know me more. With the EP they can get to know me a little more.

Follow Polosh on Instagram

All of the pictures in this article were provided by Polosh

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.