Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene: Mari Blanca Robles López

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives, and scenes have found a way to pave their path. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, many artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez, and libraries like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla have provided up-and-coming artists a space to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” is a series of  interviews that provides a glimpse at some of the women who have recently gained recognition in the art scene. Though the artists are asked similar questions, some are asked queries surrounding their work, specifically.

Mari Blanca Robles López is a freelance photojournalist.

What got you into photojournalism?

Since I was a child, I always had a genuine interest for visuals because I liked looking at everything in detail and sometimes I would lose time looking at spaces I found curious. When I was around 11-12 years old, I was part of the Girl Scouts chapter of my school in Yauco and we were subscribed to participate in a photography marathon hosted by Walgreens in order to acquire a patch for our vest. I photographed everything, but a picture of a flamboyán helped me win. I think it was that, along with my aunt’s support, who is also a photographer, what propelled me to dedicate myself to photography, especially in the field of photojournalism because I’ve always had a passion for people and their stories as well as justice and the truth.

How did you develop your style?

In terms of style, I only try to capture what’s happening. I would like to say I transmit exact moments, perhaps precise feelings. I love the everyday a lot as well as resistance and strength which I believe complement each other pretty well in my photography. Aesthetically, I like the pictures to look good and clean with colors and contrasts.

How has it evolved through the years?

I am more focused on my angles and I’ve gotten 100% better in my editing. However, I think my style has always been defined, or at least I’d like to think so. As I mentioned previously, it is clean and real.

What are some of your influences and inspirations?

Diane Arbus, Steve McCurry, Alina Luciano, Jack Delano, Mandín Rodríguez, Dorothea Lange and my peers with whom I share the streets daily and leave everything out there seeking the truth.

Is there any other form of art you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

I would love to continue growing in the field of video. I would also love to explore other visual arts, maybe presenting my pictures in installations or digitally. I am always open to collaborating with other artists and learning new disciplines.

What do you think about the current state of the arts in Puerto Rico?

We need more art by women as well as queer and black artists.

What do you think about the current state of the independent scene in Puerto Rico?

I admire each and every person who continue creating and fighting for the arts and culture in a colonial and oppressive country.

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

Provide lots of love and dedication to your work, don’t do what hurt male artists tell you to do, create and believe in everything that makes you who you are.

What is your biggest goal right now?

Take the truth to whoever needs it. Live in peace out of taking pictures. Grow as a person.

What do you seek to achieve with work?

Document my surroundings, the world, create spaces for discussion, and concrete results about things that affect us.

All of the pictures in this article were provided by Mari Blanca Robles López

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.