samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene: María Victoria (Vicky/Miko)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives, and scenes have found a way to pave their path. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, many artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez, and libraries like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla have provided up-and-coming artists a space to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” is a series of  interviews that provides a glimpse at some of the women who have recently gained recognition in the art scene. Though the artists are asked similar questions, some are asked queries surrounding their work, specifically.

María Victoria, also known as Vicky and/or Miko is a young tattoo artist slowly putting her stamp in the field.

What got you into tattoos?

Tattooing had always interested me but specifically during hurricane María, I found myself with nothing to do. Therefore, me and my girlfriend made a homemade tattoo machine and the rest is history.

How did you develop your style?

I’ve always felt that my style has always just been there in a way. I’ve taken art classes since I was 6 years old so everything I’ve been learning I have adapted in my own way.

How has it evolved through the years?

I feel that my art never stops evolving. I still have many things to learn and am eager to!

What are some of your influences and inspirations?

Many of my teachers have influenced me immensely through the years. I enjoy watching movies, animé, and just following up on the latest artists inspires me to do plenty.

Is there any other form of art you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

Yes, I’m currently working on music, music production, graphic designing, and clothing. I aspire to be an overall artist and for people to remember my message.

What do you think about the current state of the arts in Puerto Rico?

Currently, I believe that today the state of the arts has become more popular than before. Puerto Rico’s young artists are very talented and should be supported more than it is.

What do you think about the current state of the independent scene in Puerto Rico?

Thanks to social media, for many independent artists (including myself) it has become way easier to expose their talent in any way they please. From earrings to tattooing, the possibilities are limitless and Puerto Rico has them all.

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

I’d tell her to definitely go for it and follow her dreams, the only thing stopping us is ourselves.

What is your biggest goal right now?

My biggest goal right now is to keep learning, evolving, and making my best art possible.

What do you seek to achieve with work?

I hope to become a great overall artist and learn as much as possible. Art has always been everything I know, everything I love and I can’t wait to see what awaits for me in the future.

All of the pictures in this article were provided by María Victoria

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.