Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene: Lizbeth Román

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives and scenes have found a way to pave their way. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, a variety of artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez and libraries like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla, have provided up-and-coming artists a space for them to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” are interviews which provide a glimpse at a few of the women who are making their way in said movement. Though the artists were asked similar questions, some were asked queries focused specifically on their work.

Lizbeth Román is a singer and songwriter who has also worked in theater. In her own words “I love to play with ‘words’.” The following interview was conducted online.

What got you into singing and music? How did you develop your style, and how has it evolved through the years?

Ever since I was little, I’ve loved writing, playing with words, and telling stories. Then, I learned a few basic guitar chords and began adding music and singing those stories. My style has been transforming itself in multiple and organic ways, and it has become richer thanks to everyday experiences, street performances throughout the years, and my theater background. Also, thanks to my musical influences, including the music I listen to and my multi-talented band colleagues. This has all accounted for the evolution of the musical project as a whole, causing it to be intense, honest, high spirited and fused.

(Román performing)

I’ve seen your work is highly influenced by folk, indie, and Latin music. How did this happen?

I’m from the Caribbean, so that’s the biggest clue. Also, I believe Puerto Rico hasn’t stopped being a port island.Here, as in the Caribbean, we are intervened by different cultures. Our history shows it. The folklore, the drums, the tropical, the indigenous, the rumba flamenca, Spain, our neighboring islands, North America and its whole rhythm spectrum–we’ve got a lot from that. I believe every project, and I, as a composer, gather that information in an organic way, sometimes on purpose and sometimes unwittingly. The collaborative work between me and my musician friends is very important, as they put their personalities and different musical influences into the mix. Bottom line is that I believe that’s how it happens. At the same time, each song picks its own path.

I saw you recently performed in Circo Fest 2018. How was that experience?

It was great and very special. It was kind of a workshop experience. I learned things. In our case, aside from the music, it challenged and put us, intensively, at the service of the performance and the theatrical. Street art and performances have their own codes also; you have to play, take risks, trust, and convoke. It was beautiful craziness.

(Román performing)

What do you think about the current state of the arts in Puerto Rico?

It’s complex. The hurricane was a low blow, but reinventing oneself is not new for Caribbean artists. The real hurricane was already here, before Hurricane Maria, and it is still here in the form of corruption, colonialism, violence, etc. Our government continues to make budget cuts on education and culture, making it clear that the arts have never been and are not a priority. Nonetheless, we, the artists, are used to precariousness It’s tough, but we spin it in the air. We do magic to survive. Everything that happens is fuel to create and debate in the creative process. ‘Por ahí vamos’ (There we go).

What do you think about the current state of the independent scene in Puerto Rico?

There’s a lot going on in the underground scene. The self-management never stops.  The issue has always been surviving economically while paying our bills and investing in our artistic projects so they can grow. Even so, in the Puerto Rican independent scene ‘hay de todo como en botica’ (there’s a bit of everything, like a boutique), there are different styles and artistic concepts for every taste. The music and art scene is active. Furthermore, I believe it would be beneficial to expand and open the invisible borderlines of our niches and different circuits and dialogue more between ourselves [artists]. Even from different views and heterogeneous opinions, try to unify an artistic social view against the injustice of the system. The system is crushing us even more, and it will continue to do so until we put a stop to it.

(Román performing)

Is there any other form of art you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

I flirt with many art forms. I consider myself a song server but I’m also a “teatrera” and actress. I have a bachelor’s degree in drama from the University of Puerto Rico in Río Piedras. Aside from the music, I also have done independent plays, from script writing to directing. This path took me to conceptualize and direct my latest music video, launched this February, Bolero Saltarín. Eric Rojas was the photographic director. Collaboration and teamwork is crucial. Eric and I are a great team, I admire him greatly; we have worked a lot together. I’ve flirted with  visual and cinematographic work since college, but my first serious experience was with my first music video La Bruja. I’m an obsessive compulsive with the conceptualization of things and how you can create a whole universe from scratch. I’m a fan of the art and the creative process.

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

It’s a great choice. Trust your gut, do it with passion, take risks, maintain consistency, love, and be authentic. All these in repeat to maintain yourself in this little boat of life at open sea.

(Román performing)

What do you seek to achieve with art?

Freedom.

What is your biggest goal right now?

Be.

Listen to Lizbeth Román on Spotify

All the pictures in this article were provided by the artist.

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.