Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene: Keyshla M. De Jesús González

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives, and scenes have found a way to pave their path. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, many artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez, book stores like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla, Libros AC in Santurce and Libros 787 online, and independent festivals like Feria de Libros Independientes y Alternativos and Tintero: Festival de Cómics y Arte Independiente de Puerto Rico have provided up-and-coming artists a space to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” is a series of  interviews that provides a glimpse at some of the women who have recently gained recognition in the art scene. Though the artists are asked similar questions, some are asked queries surrounding their work, specifically.

Keyshla M. De Jesús González is a plastic artist graduated from the Escuela de Artes Plásticas y Diseño Puerto Rico with a Bachelor’s in Painting. She is also a cancer survivor and founder of the Asociación Arte-Sanación.

What got you into the visual arts?

Since I was little I loved the arts, but I didn’t plan to study it in college, even though deep inside I knew I wanted to. Just when I was about to study computer science in the university, I was diagnosed with cancer. So I had to leave my studies to fight the illness and in that process I decided to use art as a form of therapy.

How did you develop your style?

I consider myself a versatile artist. I don’t have a set style. I work according to the medium the concept requires. I don’t like to categorize myself under one medium like painting. I can various such as the aforementioned plus installations, sculptures, textiles and others.

How has it evolved through the years?

After going through cancer, a lot of queries emerged and that’s where my interest for its inception, behaviour and the way it attacks the body came about. After said research and experimentation the artistic concept “La belleza de lo mortal” originated. I started doing community service providing art as a therapeutic through which people could channel their emotions. Afterwards, I was accepted into the Escuela de Artes Plásticas y Diseño Puerto Rico where I started from scratch. I spent years practicing and acquiring knowledge not only in the institution, but also looking for opportunities which helped me grow as an artist and human being. I think my experience has taught me to fight and see life in a different light. That’s how I do my work. Of course, practice and research have been essential to perfect my artwork to the point where I can now educate and fuse two disciplines that seem different: art and science.

What are some of your influences and inspirations?

There are various artists who influence my work, among them are: Georgia O’Keeffe, Anish Kapoor, Anna Mendietta, Yayoi Kusama, Deborah García Bello, Santiago Ramón y Cajal, and others.  My inspiration comes from my personal experience with cancer, life’s fragility, the internal world of the human body and the healing power of the arts. I’m also inspired by the field of health sciences and how it can be incorporated with the arts.

Is there any other form of art you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

In my case, as a plastic artist, I am aware and open to new artistic possibilities and disciplines. I would love to explore ceramics, installations, and digital art and apply them to my concept. That’s why I’m constantly experimenting and looking for ways to integrate art and science.   

What do you think about the current state of the arts in Puerto Rico?

In Puerto Rico there’s a lot of talent. It is a very sacrificial career, especially now in the economic crisis the country faces. Sadly, the arts are being eliminated in the education system and that creates a chain of ignorance and insensitivity and that’s why the arts aren’t as valued as they should. Thus, it is up to us as artists to show people the importance of art in everybody’s lives. Puerto Rico has a lot of talent and some stay in the island, but there are others who need to leave in order to prosper.

What do you think about the current state of the independent scene in Puerto Rico?

As mentioned previously, Puerto Rico has a variety of talented quality artists with excellent concepts. I know that currently there aren’t a lot of opportunities and that’s why so many great groups are formed because they support the arts and create independent events, which provide opportunities for other artists. I’ve been fortunate to participate in various activities, all of which have been great experiences, but there needs to be more support.

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

Being an artist requires a lot of discipline. It isn’t easy, but if you have passion for what you do, then it’s possible. A lot of practice, security, sincerity, unconformity; these are all required. We need more women as artists.

What is your biggest goal right now?

Currently, I wish to educate and present my art in and outside of Puerto Rico. I also want to do a masters in Art Therapy.

What do you seek to achieve with work?

I want to continue helping, educating, and creating new perspectives through my art. Art sutures emotional scars. It transforms, frees and gives life meaning. It connects human emotions and from there one can express what one is living and feeling.

All of the pictures in this article were provided by Keyshla M. De Jesús González

Find Keyshla M. De Jesús González on Instagram and Facebook

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.