Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene: Karla Ortiz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives, and scenes have found a way to pave their path. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, many artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez, book stores like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla, Libros AC in Santurce and Libros 787 online, and independent festivals like Feria de Libros Independientes y Alternativos and Tintero: Festival de Cómics y Arte Independiente de Puerto Rico have provided up-and-coming artists a space to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” is a series of  interviews that provides a glimpse at some of the women who have recently gained recognition in the art scene. Though the artists are asked similar questions, some are asked queries surrounding their work, specifically.

Karla Ortiz is a young visual artist who mostly works with watercolor, and digital mediums.

What got you into the visual arts?

I’ve been drawing ever since I was in elementary school. I began by drawing Pokémons and Digimons, and from there I moved to anime, until somewhere along the line I ended up drawing what I do now (my dogs, mostly). In addition, thanks to my great friends and family who have helped me grow, and supported me until today, I have always kept drawing. Otherwise, I might have stopped by now.

How did you develop your style?

I’m not too certain. I’d say one’s style comes along by constantly drawing, and studying your favourite artists. I think I acquired it by adapting little different details and techniques from other artists I liked until, along with my own techniques, I had my own style. It also takes a lot of experimenting and failure; you’re constantly changing it.

How has it evolved through the years?

It has evolved drastically, at least in my opinion. My lines have become much more loose, and I’ve begun to pay much more attention to smaller details. There are a few ‘before and after’ posts on my Instagram. It has also evolved not only in style but in themes. I currently love drawing animals and Halloween related stuff.

What are some of your influences and inspirations?

I love Hayao Miyazaki and Patrick McHale. Those are my main two inspiration sources. But I also love researching on fantasy, folktales and old medieval art themes. Oh, and my dogs. I really love drawing them, especially Dookie.

Is there any other form of art you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

Yes! I am currently considering enrolling in Animation courses. I would love to be able to come up with my own cartoon show or zine sometime. I really enjoy coming up with stories and I recently began trying to do my own world building, which is hard stuff.

What do you think about the current state of the arts in Puerto Rico?

I think there’s not enough representation, and barely any strong institutions due to lack of funds, but there are a lot of amazing, supportive people and artists. I think there’s a lot of potential in Puerto Rico, and that the art scene is still in the process of growing, and that it’s growing very fast thanks to the independent art scene.  

What do you think about the current state of the independent scene in Puerto Rico?

I am not too savvy about everything going on in the independent art scene, but I love what has been going on recently. There’s a lot of movement and growth in the scene. It can definitely be bigger, but I think it’ll get there since everyone is so creative and supportive.

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

I would tell her to study other artists’ techniques, study thoroughly on anatomy, and to emulate other artists without forgetting to give credit whenever necessary. Art is an emotional rollercoaster, and it ain’t easy, but it’s a very fulfilling and special hobby.

What is your biggest goal right now?

My biggest goal at the moment is to become an animator and to write my own stories. I have so many exciting ideas I’d love to share!

What do you seek to achieve with work?

I seek self fulfilment and recognition. Becoming a full-time artist is my goal.

All of the pictures in this article were provided by Karla Ortiz

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.