Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene: Heidy Blair Colón

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives and scenes have found a way to pave their way. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, a variety of artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez, and libraries like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla, have provided up-and-coming artists a space for them to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” are interviews which provide a glimpse at a few of the women who are making their way in said movement. Though the artists were asked similar questions, some were asked queries focused specifically on their work.

Heidy Blair Colón is a freelance artist and photographer who dedicates her time to creating handmade wearable art and crystals under the name HB Art. As described by the artist, “[both of] these are executed with passion and an unbound inspiration of nature that shapes the concept of my projects. More than just creating an image or jewelry that has just the right amount of “aesthetics”, I make every piece of art with the intention to make you feel something through it. Just like we admire the unbound diversity of nature, we must celebrate the details that make us unique in this world, and my goal is to help you find your own taste of meaning through my work in the arts.” The following interview was conducted online.

How did you develop your style and how has it evolved through the years?

I can’t really recall a precise moment where I decided to take on a specific style. Ever since I got my hands on my first camera, I had this almost innate feeling of capturing the mundanity of our day-by-day tropical lifestyle. Being from such a rustic city like San Germán, where it has always had a rich diversity in antique architecture, people that make up interesting characters, family business shops, and culinary hidden gems, you’re bound to always find a corner of the city that inspires a photo with a story to tell on its own. Perhaps capturing the naturality of life and how it can transform in front of you is my go-to style and it persists on most of my artistic work. Same goes for my jewelry; being inspired on the patterns of nature, I feature silhouettes of plants made by wire and I also love incorporating raw materials like unpolished crystals and stones into the jewelry pieces as an ode to the imperfectly perfect symmetry of nature that makes it so unique and special.

(self-portrait of artist in her unique style)

I’ve seen your work is highly influenced by psychedelia. How did this happen and how do you integrate into your work as a photographer and artisan?

Ever since my coming-of-age years, I’ve always been enchanted by the experimental vibe of the 60’s and the whole folklore that surrounds it. Aside from the music, I am intrigued by how the pictures taken at that moment in time were film and all the marvelous imperfections film brought to these images such as light leaks, high contrasts, intense colors, and how these elements gave you a reason to see the world with a different perspective. The 60’s were also a decade that definitely impulsed lots of radical thinking, questioning of main authority, and had a strong message that challenged the established norms in society towards being your most conscious self instead. In the fast-paced capitalist world that we live in today, being your own boss and trying to make a living out of art feels like a radical statement too. I like making jewelry pieces that are intricate, simple but straight to the point designs that are literally meant to be wearable art. What inspires me the most of psychedelia is the unpredictable beauty of ideas and art that comes from it!

I’ve seen you delve into the world of modeling every now and then. How did that happen and how do you apply your unique art style into this field?

When I was younger, I took some modeling classes once with some friends to try it out, but at the moment I just felt like it wasn’t my thing. People always assumed that I would be a great model just because of my skinny structure and that my measurements went well with the “model body type.” I never bought into the idea that there is only one specific categorized standard of beauty, and being exposed to this world made me realize my disbelief when I got told by fashion designers that I was too “petite” to be considered a normal sized model. The fashion world is a competitive and contradicting space since it’s always trying to fit beauty into a specific box and exclude all the diversity that is all around us, yet at the same time it’s always in constant change and transformation. From this I learned how much I loved being behind the camera instead of in front of it, and how I wanted to start bringing a different point of view to the unique features that makes a human being beautiful into the photography world. With both photos and jewelry, I have found a pathway to start bringing a fresh perspective in embracing self-expression as a fashion statement, that goes way beyond any temporary trend.

(work by the artist)

What do you think about the current state of the arts in Puerto Rico?

There are so many outstanding people laying out their art in different mediums. Whether its on canvas, on skin, through sound waves, dance moves, words, or in their own crafty way. Art has brought a whole other level of how to view the current situation in Puerto Rico. For some, it’s bringing out the raw truth of the reality that we live in the crisis island. For others, it’s about being innovative in both concept & self-employment, shining light on ways to adapt to this particular moment in time and bring hope that there is a way to slowly-but surely- contribute to a more sustainable way of living.

What do you think about the current state of the independent scene in Puerto Rico?

Being part of the independent scene is not an easy task for anyone involved. The whole process of finding and creating gigs, getting exposure, taking out time to create your own thing, and everything in between may be exhausting and lots of hard work. But then again, everything in life is. I feel like the independent scene is being more open to collaboration and because of this you could feel the range of diversity from the different forms of expression come together and give immense amounts of life, atmosphere, vibe (you name it!) to an event. I personally enjoy seeing local events like Art Walk, farmers’ markets, Arte en la Placita at UPRM, and similar events that happen nearby or across town because their focus is simple; it’s an event from the people and for the people.

(work by the artist)

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

Without a doubt or a stutter in my answer, I would tell her to go for it! People will always have expectations and opinions of whether being an artist is an actual job or not, but it’s up to you to determine if it’s the lifestyle you’re willing to morph into for the sake of your passion. I’d tell her that following one’s passions is the single most brave thing you could ever do for yourself. With sacrifice, willpower, and the open mind to collaborate with others, you could get far into doing the things you love in ways you never thought possible.

What do you seek to achieve with art?

More than anything, I seek to create a moving force inside those who engage and identify with my art. Every piece of art I create is an invitation to see the world with new eyes and start breaking barriers in order to move forward with being your most authentic self.  

(work by the artist)

What is your biggest goal right now?

My biggest goal right now is to graduate from college, so that I can start to bring all the pieces of my art, photography, and academic preparation together. With this, I hope to have more time in my hands to bring services of editorial, lifestyle, & stock photography targeted to help small businesses thrive with a high quality & familiar representation of their local products. I would also love to be able to assist to the biggest gem show in the world in Tucson, Arizona.

You can find Heidy Blair Colón’s work on Facebook and Instagram

All the photos in this article were provided by artist.

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.