Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It In The Independent Art Scene: Flor García Delgado

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives, and scenes have found a way to pave their path. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, many artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez, and libraries like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla have provided up-and-coming artists a space to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” is a series of  interviews that provides a glimpse at some of the women who have recently gained recognition in the art scene. Though the artists are asked similar questions, some are asked queries surrounding their work, specifically.

Flor García Delgado is the co-founder of Ni|BEACHWEAR, a resortwear brand entirely designed and manufactured in Puerto Rico, inspired by authentic island life. According to García Delgado at Ni|BEACHWEAR “we’re involved in the arts through the design process of our apparel and prints. Our artistic process is combined with the versatility of our pieces, since we look to create clothing that lends itself to go from the beach/pool to dinner with friends or just exploring the world.”

What got you into clothing?

I’ve always been very interested in fashion and the way we can use it to translate who we are, our interests or even the mood we’re in. Close to graduating from El Colegio, I became more interested in the business aspect of the industry, which led me to go to Parsons. While in New York, I became more aware of the impact this industry has on people and the planet, which sparked my interest in brands that go beyond, in order to create positive impact. My interest evolved from just the aesthetic and numbers side of the industry to creating a brand that’s aware of its entire impact.

At Ni|BEACHWEAR we strive to create ethical luxury, we’re able to do this by printing our fabrics and manufacturing everything locally, thus ensuring ethical practices are followed and that we can minimize our environmental footprint. We teamed up with Colitas Sonrientes Inc., and donate 10% of our profits per sale to them, in order to be part of the efforts to help Puerto Rico’s homeless animals. Our entire brand is inspired by the west coast beach life, and we decided it was crucial to create our brand in Puerto Rico, to actively give back and promote/sustain local economic activity.

How did you develop your style?

I grew up in Mayagüez and my favorite place to be is Rincón, so my style is a reflection of this. My everyday style has always been casual, low-key with easy shapes. I’ve always preferred loose clothing and I feel equally comfortable with sneakers as I do with heels.

How has it evolved through the years?

My style has evolved to become a combination of tropical, island life and a bit of city vibe. The aspect of low-key, casual is always a constant, but it has evolved from a bohemian, flowy style to a more contemporary style. It’s pared back, full of all kinds of neutrals and blacks, and I tend to go for oversized and clean silhouettes.

What are some of your influences and inspirations?

I find inspiration in other brands that have been able to grow and become successful, while implementing sustainable practices and giving back to their community. I find FEED, Stella McCartney and Brother Vellies to be of inspiration because of their manufacturing process and giving back. My mother has also been a great influence, she taught me that hard work and tenacity is crucial in everything we do.

Is there any other form of art you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

Right now at Ni|BEACHWEAR, we’re exploring different techniques to print our fabrics. We’re beginning to implement new prints that have been created using Shibori. We’re also exploring new dye options, specifically looking at natural options that can be found here. I’m really excited to start learning and implementing these techniques and the use of more natural and locally available dye options because we can keep adding layers of sustainability to our brand.

What do you think about the current state of the arts in Puerto Rico?

I’ve had the opportunity to participate in two entrepreneurship programs in Puerto Rico and I’ve met a lot of people who are creating amazing things. They range from painting, jewelry, and podcasts to other fashion brands, but what’s most interesting is the age range. I feel we tend to envision entrepreneurs as young, 20-30 something, but the reality is that I’ve met some that are 50. So, I think the current state of arts in Puerto Rico is evolving right now, to encompass many different industries and unique products.

What do you think about the current state of the independent scene in Puerto Rico?

Right now, I think there’s a mixture of people doing more mainstream type of art and others, really going out there and bringing new, innovative things to the table. Again, my experience has been working with people who are creating really exciting and different products, but the reality is you need both styles. People have different tastes and preferences, so it’s always good to have a good balance.

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

My advice to her would be to pursue whatever she can’t stop thinking about. To be authentic, open to learning and evolving, but to stay true to her vision. Good things take time, and at times one might feel like giving up, but it will pass and it’ll be worth it. Surround yourself with people who will support you, but who will also be honest with you.

What is your biggest goal right now?

My biggest goal right now is to grow Ni|BEACHWEAR, to become a go-to option when it comes to ethically made resortwear. Through this we’ll be able to keep supporting job creation in the local sewing industry and also, help more homeless animals in Puerto Rico. Our brand is completely inspired by the beach life of Puerto Rico, so as we grow we also get to promote our island through everything we do.

What do you seek to achieve with work?

I’m always trying to create a positive impact through Ni|BEACHWEAR. We want to give our customers sophisticated, quality clothing that they can take on any vacation or use for any occasion. We want to put ethically and sustainably made options in the market that are manufactured taking into consideration the impact they have on the planet during the entire lifecycle of the product. We’re focused in becoming partners in the efforts to help our homeless animals through the sales of our products. We’re basically seeking to create beautiful resort wear brand that looks to do as much good as possible.

Find Flor García Delgado and Ni|BEACHWEAR on Instagram

All of the pictures in this article were provided by Flor García Delgado and Ni|BEACHWEAR

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.