Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene: Aleishla López

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives, and scenes have found a way to pave their path. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, many artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez, book stores like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla, Libros AC in Santurce and Libros 787 online, and independent festivals like Feria de Libros Independientes y Alternativos and Tintero: Festival de Cómics y Arte Independiente de Puerto Rico have provided up-and-coming artists a space to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” is a series of  interviews that provides a glimpse at some of the women who have recently gained recognition in the art scene. Though the artists are asked similar questions, some are asked queries surrounding their work, specifically.

Aleishla López makes jewelry and accessories. She runs Lietofiore, a bridal line since 2014 and Aleishla, her everyday jewelry line since 2018.

What got you into jewelry and accessories?

I remember always having a thing for jewelry. As a kid I enjoyed the kits with beads, threads and all that. With time my interest for accessories continued and I decided to focus on learning new techniques and putting my skills to lots of practice.

How did you develop your style?

I think it is something that I can see continually evolving and growing along with me. I can totally see a pattern in my pieces and how I naturally gravitate towards repeating my favorite techniques and that basically forms it.

How has it evolved through the years?

I definitely can see how my work has been growing and evolving through the years and along with me. I have been making jewelry since I was in about 6th grade and I can identify how my work is ‘maturing’ in a certain way. It is continually growing and I love and enjoy that!

What are some of your influences and inspirations?

I tend to be very eclectic on that matter. I love to go with clean lines, a touch of minimalism while not being limited by it. Nature tends to be my first inspiration but I also love modern art, different interpretations of a specific thing and past eras and their relentlessly move through the years.

Is there any other form of art you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

I am a maker and would definitely love to explore many different areas like pottery, woodworking, sculpture and painting to mention some.

What do you think about the current state of the arts and business in Puerto Rico?

I believe it is a great moment for the creative minds here. Lately, I have noticed a big movement towards everything local and it is amazing! There is so much talent in Puerto Rico! I am constantly inspired and motivated by the many awesome entrepreneurs and emerging artists. I feel so proud and pumped!

What do you think about the current state of the independent scene in Puerto Rico?

I think it is growing and we are making people value the independent scene. To me, it is a great moment to make things happen and create consciousness about the talent and great work that is produced locally.

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

I would tell her: GO FOR IT! As a younger me, I would daydream with going for the arts, yet I couldn’t see it as a formal job. I would encourage her to create her opportunities and work towards her dreams and make it all become a reality. It is possible!

What is your biggest goal right now?

I would say my biggest goal right now is to finally unite my two brands under my name and to launch a new bridal collection. It seems impossible right now but I am going with the flow and I know it will work some time soon. I would also love to start working on ‘one of a kinds’ more frequently.

What do you seek to achieve with work?

I look forward to continue to create pieces that are timeless and that my clients would love to pass to other generations. That would make me so happy!

All the pictures in this article were provided by Aleishla López

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.