jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Pros and Cons of Living with Your Parents in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Every movie and book I ever read about college began with the same old montage of freshman move-in day. You know, that time where the frats come out to play and all the associations are vying for first-years to add to their ranks. This montage may not be quite as accurate for some though, for a number of reasons. While there may be plenty of pros, there are also several cons college students may face when they stay at home while pursuing higher education.

PRO: Food. All the food!

No cafeteria food for you. Instead, you can enjoy home-cooked meals practically every day, if culinarily inclined. If not, you can always enjoy food in the company of family all the time if you want.

CON: Unnecessary chores at the worst times.

In return for providing sustenance, parents expect their progeny to keep not only their room clean, but most of the house as well. While you would be cleaning if you lived alone anyway, you could do it on your time. Not so much when living with parents. This can be especially inconvenient when all you want to do is study for that one dreaded test, or go out with your friends to las calles instead of dusting yet another table or taking out the trash for the upteenth time. But at least you have everything you need, right?

PRO: No need to pack and move

Something many struggle with at the beginning of the year is the moving process. What apartment to choose? What is the new housemate/roommate going to be like? Should I take the blue comforter or the black? Decisions, decisions. By staying at home, you get the college experience without the hassle. You have every article of clothing you have ever bought at your fingertips, even those shoes you never seem to find the right occasion to wear for.

CON: Going out is hard to do.

When living with strict parents, going out is more of a privilege than an age-earned right. It requires asking for permission, a whole lot of begging and haggling, and finally, a curfew; never mind the constant updates for worried parents lest they go out of their minds with worry. They do it because they care, but sometimes you just want to have fun. That’s not to say you can’t have family fun though, since you live with them and all.

PRO: Family fun.

If you enjoy spending time with your family, living with them should be great too. You don’t miss out on any of the birthdays, family gatherings, or game nights and can always count on their support for just about anything.

CON: Limited College Fun a.k.a. Curfew

The last two letters of the word say it all: ew. College fun isn’t always a parent’s favorite cup of tea. So like Cinderella, you find yourself rushing home earlier than you would like, even if all you want to do is keep the party going.

PRO: Everything is (mostly) free!

You don’t have to worry about paying rent, bills, or pretty much anything else. That is taken care of by the marvelous human beings you call parents. While your buddies are all frantic about receiving la beca, you know you’re covered.

CON: Fear of Missing Out, or, FOMO

Even as you enjoy family gatherings and the like, you may find yourself thinking about getting the “full college experience”. This is the fear of any non-independent college kid. Am I missing out? Will the experience of living on my own really help me? You can rest easy though; adulting will come to you in time. One day you will pay your own bills and adult around the world. In the meantime, enjoy your time under your parents’ roof.

Andrea is an English major at UPRM typing life away one word at a time. As an accomplished tutor for the English Writing Center and peer-instructor, she has helped non-native speakers understand the nuances of the English language. She has taken DC by storm through an internship in the United States House of Representatives and is more than ready to tackle her future dreams. When not writing, you can find Andrea with her reading the book of the week or participating in something new.
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.