Profile: TeatRUM’s Ángel Pérez Calzada

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Alcohol abuse is not an issue commonly addressed at campus; in fact, this behavior seems to be promoted among us. From our students’ version of the Colegio alma mater, to the culture of jangueo, it would seem that when it comes to defining fun, alcohol is always in the package. It is presented as an escape route, a stress reliever, or simply a way to kick-start the party and have an excuse to act ridiculously. It appears to be harmless, yet it might not always be, and as much as we avoid talking about the dark side of the booze, other than the hangover, its effects are still there, and  they affect our daily lives much more than what we would expect. 

Ángel Pérez Calzada is a fifth year Chemical Engineering student who has been engaged with TeatRUM since he was a freshman. “Theater has been a crucial part of my life since I was in the ninth grade,” he explains.  He has written and directed plays before, yet “Solo, Un Trago,” his latest  project, is the result of a personal struggle he went through last year and which he aims to share with the student community at UPRM in order to create awareness about alcoholism. 

He found himself going downhill in every sense: academically, personally, and among his family and friends; “I had to review my whole life, where I was going, get away from everything and everyone that was harming me. Alcohol happened to be at  the top of the list.” Ángel recalls that the hardest part about dealing with it was admitting he  needed help. He explains that usually when you realize you do have a problem it is almost too late. “It is common, among our group of friends to be told that drinking is fine, and that the more we do [it]  the cooler we are, but that is not true. The moment you start losing control, willpower over alcohol, that is when you know you have a problem. If you need alcohol in order to have fun, if you can’t refrain yourself from drinking more when you know you have had enough, then there is definitely a problem.” 

Ángel went to therapy in order identify his struggles and deal with them, while staying away from the bottle. He quit drinking completely for a year, until he felt he got it under control. “I do drink now, but way less than I used to. Now I have control of how much, of when and with whom, and that is the way it should be. If you are unable to say no, if you spend more money at it than you should, then you shouldn’t drink at all.” By writing this play he hopes to create awareness among students about the serious problems excess alcohol consumption might actually provoke, and how to avoid it, as well as to help those tormented by this situation to step up and seek help.

“Alcoholism makes you lonely; it can take everything and everyone away from you, even yourself, your health; it is a dark hole that not everyone can climb back up.” He gave a piece of advice to those going through the same situation he went through, “There is no shame in admitting you need help. Even if your friends or family do not understand what you’re going through, at the end of the day it’s your life what matters. It is ok to struggle with yourself; even the strongest, most willful person does and even if those who are closest to you won’t help, somebody will, because you’re worth it.” 

As for himself, Angel is back on track. He is focused on pursuing a career in the chemical engineering industry regarding either food or product quality, as he feels that he could bring a lot more up to the table by working actively in the field rather than by doing research. He aspires to use his knowledge of Chemistry to improve matter so it can be utilized to the best of its capacities to facilitate our lives. However, theater is a passion that will always follow him and one that he aspires to continue to develop throughout all its disciplines; writing, acting, and directing. “Theater is a part of who am, and no matter what I am doing, it is always present in me.” 

“Solo, Un Trago” will be exhibited at 8pm  on April 5 and 6 at the Figueroa Chapel amphitheater.

Photo Credit: Fredd’s Photography https://www.facebook.com/freddsphotography/

Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.